What is an easy way to get shining armour effects

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What is an easy way to get shining armour effects

Matty(Posted 2004) [#1]
As the subject says: Is there an easy way to get shiny armour effects like on a medieval knight's armour - similar to the effect seen in Dungeon Keeper 2's intro. I am not after exact reflections just some sort of shininess - on a low poly model. I assume it would have something to do with spherical reflection and textures but am unsure exactly.

Dock(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think you need to set up your character with multiple material groups, and then assign shininess and spherical environment mapping to the armour parts of your model. I'm not sure though, I am yet to try exporting a model with multiple materials into Blitz.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hiya Matty,

checkout the teapot demo in the samples folder in the B3d examples. It is inside the MAK (This is mark's stuff).

That's a nice sort of shiny effect in action.

IPete2.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#4]
How low poly is it? Can you just use EntityShininess()?

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#5]
You use the 64 key when importing a texture and sticking it on the mesh... that is spheremap... like this:

Notice the "64" after my fire1.bmp that tells the computer to shiny THAT texture on my pacer11.bed mesh...

I have also made things shiny by using ULTIMATE UNWRAP and editing the UVs therein... I have found that the B3D objects translated from 3DS objects can be made partially shiny (like the blade of a sword but NOT the handle) and that is cool... no loading of textures needed since the info is in the b3d mesh.

I have a sword object at: www.turbosquid.com for FREE that is in B3D and X and 3DS format... The textures are there too and should be in the same directory as the mesh.

Go there and download it if you want... look for Rook Zimbabwe.

-RZ

Matty(Posted 2004) [#6]
thanks all