Random Map Maker, Like in Transport Tycoon

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Random Map Maker, Like in Transport Tycoon

FBEpyon(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello,

Im trying to find suggestions on how you would go about making a random terrain genrator like you see in Transport Tycoon, but only in 3D..

If someone could email or post some suggestions I would be greatful, so far I have gotten a random terrain to genrate using a excate height, but I can't seem to get it to genrate in a orderly manor, I was thinking that I might need to make a loop of some sorts to look for the terrain height next to the lowest terrain height.. ( Lowest Terrain Height is sea level.. then it goes up.. please get back to me

Thanks

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#2]
OK this is probably stupid BUT...

There is a game called NETHACK which is open source. It is a dungeon crawl BUT the maps are randomly generated. I think (but am not sure) there is code in basic.

The map generator portion should not be too hard to deconstruct if it is in C.

Then you just have to come up with 3D "tiles" that are all on th same level and use the generator to parse them into a map document.

OR

You could write a simple program to create an array that fills it with 1,2,3,4,5,6,3,2,1,1,0 etc...

where each number corresponds to a style of map tile. Then you simply read position in the array for your location AND the surrounding locs (to speed up movement to the next terrain...

Just an idea...

-RZ

FBEpyon(Posted 2004) [#3]
yeah I didn't think about the array idea thats a good one thanks.., but now my biggest problem is getting the mouse to follow the interlinking points of the terrain for a terrain level tool..

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#4]
There are a few peeps here that are creating Terrain editors... Maybe you couold schmutzagog with them??? : )

I thought about mousepick but it isn't as accurate as it could be and I have no skill to make it better...

-RZ

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well I spent a few hours trying to incorporate a maze generator into My terrain generator so that the white is the high points of the terrain. Why don,t you try that.
Also you could probably just take a screen shot of the mazes that the maze generator makes and load them into an art program and then cut out the part of the maze (64,64 128,128 ...) you wan,t and load it back into yer program.
Hey if try this let me know if it works!
Maze gen is in the code arcives under algorithms I think.