Force Feedback support for Blitz 3D!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Force Feedback support for Blitz 3D!

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#1]
Some joysticks now have force feedback. What is force feedback? The joystick will vibrate in attempt to give a more realistic feel to action in gameplay. What to make the action a bit more real, try a joystick with force feedback. The only way to really know if you like force feedback is to try it.

This plugin adds support for force feedback in your project!

Please visit http://www.twinno.com/FFplugin
for more information.

We appreciate comments/suggestions/bugs/etc.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
What is force feedback? The joystick will vibrate in attempt to give a more realistic feel to action in gameplay.
Vibrating alone is not force feedback. Many console and PC controllers can vibrate but they are not force feedback controllers. Force feedback is the application of physical force in response to user input. Used, for instance, in arcade games and car and plane simulators. It is usually more of a constant force in a specific direction depending on the current action going on in-game.

Force feedback controllers can vibrate as well, but vibrating alone is not force feedback. There is a substantial difference between the two, and I wish that marketers wouldn't advertise vibrating controllers as 'force feedback' controllers.

There is a significant difference between playing my Gran Turismo 3 game with my dual-shock controller (vibration) and playing it with my force-feedack steering wheel. I couldn't beat the harder races until I started using the wheel so that I was able to 'feel' the road surface (for instance, like when the car would begin to slide or fishtail). BTW, I don't think a lot of people really appreciate just how realistic GT3 is when it comes to real-world physics...

Orca(Posted 2004) [#3]
[hijack]

BTW, I don't think a lot of people really appreciate just how realistic GT3 is when it comes to real-world physics...

I've noticed that too. I think it takes a real car enthusiast to appreciate the gt series. I've heard alot of people dog on it, and I think those people were looking for an arcade, ridge racer type of deal as opposed to a realistic racing simulation.

Its been noted before that the track times from the in game cars, and real world cars are right on par. In fact, the spring 2004 edition of R&T Speed has a driving comparison between the nsx, and the new honda hsc...the hsc isn't available to the press yet, so how'd they do it? They drove a real nsx on Tsukuba, and a virtual hsc in GT4 :)

Man I wish I had a steering wheel for gt.....blah--
[/hijack]

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#4]
All I know is my MICROSOFT XP operating system is not compatable with my MICROSOFT force feedback steering wheel...

Of course, Microsoft themselves do offer a solution: Buy the USB version of the wheel.

I feel so valued.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#5]
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BZZZZ BRRR RRRR BBZZZZZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZzzzz BRRRR BZZZZ BZZZZ BRRRRR BZZZZZ ZZZZZ!

nice library!

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#6]
Jeron :

That sure explains the sound of my Joystick, loud as ever force-feedback if you like gettin hit nice and hard....(cranked up everything in the strength section of the force-feeback menu for my joystick)...

Though it would be nice to have a DLL or userlib to somehow control that kinda stuff with Blitz......

Speakin of which, I need to buy the non-forcefeedback version of my joystick, this one REALLY stinks in games that dont support it.
(cause its got no spring in it, which means it's kinda off the center point when I let go of it since the force-feed back aint turned on to center it)

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#7]
note to all: at the moment of writing, the library does NOT support force feedback with multiple joysticks. Secondly, the DLL is prone to crash on some occasions, and switching between joysticks costs a 0.5 second delay which makes it unusable in a 2 player game.
I'm dissapointed with the DLL, I'll wait until it gets mature. Shame it hasn't been properly tested and developed before releasing to the public. Luckely, this DLL is cheap.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#8]
See if you can fix the outstanding issues first nordvall

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#9]
We are working with support for multiple joysticks. That was not in our attention to be implemented in the first place...but a good suggestion of course ;)

About the crash, a new demo vesion will be released ASAP. The strange thing is that we haven't been able to reproduce the problems ourselves.

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#10]
Like the Idea, BUT there are is a few problems.

The main one being, you carnt seem to load the effect into memory, then play it at a later stage.!

Imagine, a gun firing... its just isnt feasable to load each effect from a file then play it every time ... thats how your DLL does it now.

Ive emailed u about this.

Regards.
Ion-Storm

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#11]
The name of the instructions was unclear. The input_runeff() doesn't load the effect into the memory it just iterates through the file.

The input_unloadeff() instruction is renamed to input_stopforce().

We are sorry for the confusions.