NuclearGlory?!? Is it worth it?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/NuclearGlory?!? Is it worth it?

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi Guys,

I've heard from a follow Blitz friend of mine today that was trying to help me out with a collison problem I've been having with trying to get a sprite entity which is my gun's bullet, And i've been trying to setup a routine to detech collison between this sprite entity & my model entity successfully... But I havn't recieved much help from nobody regarding this problem! However though! I was told about NuclearGlory and how it handles alot of these collison problems I've been having. I just wanted to ask some of you guys if you personaly tried out NuclearGlory, and does it do a fairly decent job, Or has it done a fairly decent job for you and your projects? If it's really good at collisons like what Im' trying to achieve... I wouldn't have no trouble paying what they ask for it! So is it really worth it?

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well, in the case of bullets, etc - small sprites, a blitz linepick usually works fine. I've heard pretty good things about nuclearglory dll.

If your bullets travel in straight lines, you can just do a blitz linepick from the weapon outwards, to the weapons range and then processed whatever is picked (assuming a positive pickmode). If your bullets are slow or have gravity applied, you can do a pick from the last position to the new position to check for collisions.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#3]
Doctor who... For the things you are asking i would say that atm blitz can handle the collisions you need.. Aww you need to do is set up spehere (for the plasma ball or whatever) to spehere (enemys entity radius) / Poly (Enemy) Collisions and it should work fine

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#4]
Linepick is probably preferable... maybe not as fast, but collisions at fast speeds will not work very well.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#5]
nuclear glory DLL supports "movable entities". E.g: platforms

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
Tokamak is better IMHO. Free -and- with physics.
Soon, tokamak will allow you to do convex mesh to convex mesh with full physics.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#7]
Rob, you can't compare Tokamak with Nuclear Glory:
1. Nuclear Glory is a collision engine
2. Tokamak is a physics engine with collision support.

Now, Tokamak has a *really bad* friction system, and forces you to use a system "outside" Tokamak, e.g for a player moving in the game. When you do that, you need to add an animated body, parented to the entity, and make the entity part of the Blitz or N.G Collision system. The animated body is there to make contact with the physics engine (e.g with ridig bodies).

Rob(Posted 2004) [#8]
It's free and comparible. When you use Animated Bodies, you supply the movment, tokamak does the collisions...

I don't understand your reasoning. I've had tokamak moving blocks before and merely moved my player onto it, where it moved with it.

It's a question of how well you've set the physics up I guess. And this may be easier with nuclear glory for beginners.

Doctor, try the demo?

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#9]
Well, it's very much different. It's not comparable, since Nuclear glory (wrapper part) is made to look like Blitz collisions. Tokamak not.

With Tokamak, you add your meshes (TOK_Addmesh) to the Tokamak physics. Tokamak won't allow you to add a rigid body that behaves like a normal player (e.g: moveEntity myPlayer,3,0,0). ApplyImpulse (etc) doesn't do the job, because of the friction model. If you want the player to be a ball that bounces up and down, Tokamak is your man.
But if you want a player for a platform game, or a FPS you find Tokamak lacks a good friction model. Everything is very much slippery, even when you set up the materials right. I have made the conclusion after talking to Tokamak users and extensive testing.
That is why the player in my game is a Blitz entity with Blitz collisions. Parented to the entity, is an animated body (cube) that allows the player to somewhat interact with Tokamak rigidbodies.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#10]
I don't expect this is much help, but usually when I'm checking for bullet collisions I use "entitydistance" between the bullet and the model. If you set the distance about 100 or so greater than a dead on collsion you'll get
a lot more possibility of detecting the collision.
It works. Don't know if that's what you're after though.
It's not precise, but it works for basic shooters.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#11]
I agree with J. Tokamak isn't well suited for a player entity that requries fine degrees of control. It's more useful for things that don't have too much of an impact on gameplay imo.

You could also check out Elias Coldet collision wrapper, which is free and works very well.(I use it for vividGL)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#12]
Hey guys!

That's all very interesting,but Dr.Who wanted to know if he should try to use Blitz or Nuclear Glory for collisions in the case of fast moving bullets!

...just trying to bring the thread back on target!

IPete2.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
Nuclear Glory is a nice collision detection system, but overkill for the task you describe. First off, sphere-sphere collision detection works pretty well in Blitz even between moving entities; the problem is only sphere-polygon collision detection between moving entities. Second, unless they are really slow, bullets are usually best done with linepicks. Don't literally create a sprite for bullets and move that since bullets are so fast the player will never see them anyway; just use a linepick to determine where the shot hits.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#14]
Thank's joe! You wouldn't happen to have any code example's where I might be able to test this would you? Or anybody else as well? Id' appreciate it alot as collisons is one of the things on Blitz3D that I havn't played around with that much!