EntityVisible() Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/EntityVisible() Problem

Rogue Vector(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

I've run into a slight problem on the level map I'm working on.

I need to put a flare sprite inside a semi-transparent mesh cube in order to make a light fitting.

If the flare sprite is NOT contained within the mesh cube, then I can use the following code to manage visibility:
If EntityVisible(player\camera,flare\sprite)
  flare\alpha = 1.0
Else
  flare\alpha = 0.0
End If

But, if the sprite's centre is inside a mesh - even a semi- transparent one (say alpha=0.5) then the EntityVisible() command treats the sprite as though it is hidden from the camera.

Is there a way around this?

I need to turn off the flares that are fully hidden to the camera, whilst allowing objects behind semi-transparent surfaces to be visible.

Regards,

Rogue Vector

big10p(Posted 2004) [#2]
Take a look at the EntityPickMode command which lets you specify whether or not an entity obscures (gets in the way) when using EntityVisible.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#3]
has anyone a working source? i cannot get entityvisible to work properly. i have only lame/slow linepick codearounds...
sorry for digging out this old thread!

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#4]
oh boy, i used entitypickmode 3 - that doesnt work. just tried 2 and it works like a charm...

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#5]
t3K|Mac:
It's always fun when you figure it out for yourself. I taught a friend's son the basics of computer programming.

One thing I emphasized to him, was this: a computer does not do what you THINK you told it to do, but what you ACTUALLY told it to do.