The Best A.I. ever created in Blitz3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/The Best A.I. ever created in Blitz3D

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi Guys,

Just was wanting to ask you all if you might be able to give me some good suggestions on what games and/or demos have you played or seen that has the best looking and acting A.I. in Blitz3D?

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#2]
The Feebs :)
Those guys are smart

I am biased but they are pretty smart hehe

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#3]
If you're after some AI code help, check the ARchived AI forums - some really in-depth stuff in there :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#4]
Sphere Racer

Those spheres are smart... and stupid at the same time so they make mistakes as well as not making mistakes... if you get what I mean!

I am biased but they are pretty smart hehe

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hey Rob... I played your Sphere Racer before! It is really good! Great Job! ;)
Im' not sure yet about the FEEBS?!?! I'll have to download the demo and try it out to see huh?!

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#6]
Future Tactics - available now (USA) on PS2/XBOX/GC.

The AI is very natural and fallible (you can fool it).

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#7]
METAL - bots that act like roving rocket-launcher turrets!

Rob(Posted 2004) [#8]
Smart AI isn't as good as enjoyable AI.

I like the sound of fooling the AI. That would be enjoyable...

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#9]
@John Pickford

Future Tactics - available now (USA) on PS2/XBOX/GC.

The AI is very natural and fallible (you can fool it).

Future Tactics..?!?
I never heard of that one??? Was it developed with Blitz3D?
Because I've never heard of a Blitz3D game making it to the XBOX, PS2, Or the GameCube?!?

@halo

METAL - bots that act like roving rocket-launcher turrets!

Metal??? im' afraid Im' not familar with that one either?!
Is it also a Blitz3D game?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
Metal is a game release by halo. I only saw a video once so I cannot say anything about the AI. I think it was published by Cooldog aka Idigicon.

Again, you need to be more specific - you mean AI for FPS? I think in the Archives there is an example of some NPCs running around and avoiding to crash against eachother.

Yes, a lot of discussions about AI in FPS have been going on. I think it's easier to write your own system, step by step, than to try to include a patchwork that is written by somebody else.

Some good ideas are around. You need to have a NPC Properties Structure, including all relevant parameters like: used files (mesh, animation), assigned sounds, intelligence, party (enemy,friend, neutral, civilist), speed, reactiontime, etc etc.

then you should make them walk around inside the map. Just make them behave natural. It is up to you if they use a waypoint system or if they calculate their ways in realtime. Some behavior might be scripted, eg. when a guard gets a cup of coffee sometimes.

If they once act naturally, you can add condition handling: defensive, offensive, panic etc.

I haven't seen a lot of FPS games in blitz yet, and therefore I haven't seen many AIs. That's why I suggest not to take a blitz example, but instead play some other games, study the AI and try to find out how they did it. Usually it isn't that hard if you don't take the wrong games. Don't try to beat the AI of the Bots in Arena/Multiplayer/Deathmatch-type games like UT - they are simply too good and their coders are known to be the best of their genre.
I recently studied the AI of "None lives forever" and "Hitman 2" and I found it's a good basement for single player action NPCs.

The AI I implemented in my Demos was inspired by NOLF, although I really wrote it quick and dirty, the entire AI uses about 200 lines of code - which is -to say the least - very basic.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#11]
Ok! thank's for your suggestions jfk... But your right! I should of been more specific when I posted this thread! But at this point. Any comments on any game related A.I. is welcome! Just wanting to get a general idea from some of the best coders here on the Blitz forums! Your one of thoes coders too! ;)

A many thanks indeed!

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#12]
yes, I'd like AI that can get the joke when I say "SCR3W YOU B#TCH I OWNZ J00 HA HA HA !!!11"

Only, I don't really talk like that, honestly. B#tch motherf%cker should get on MIRC if he wants to chat..!

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#13]
Dr Who. Future Tactics was extensively prototyped in Blitz. The AI was converted line for line from the Blitz code as were several other key parts of the game.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#14]
John - Is "Future Tactics" the game formerly known as "Pillage" ?

Rob(Posted 2004) [#15]
It is.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#16]
Wow. I didn't know about that. *Somebody* should make a big deal of "Future Tactics" being prototyped in Blitz. Then the industry might take notice...

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#17]
I still have the far best naughts and crosses AI ever written in Blitz, I presume it's something in that genre you are looking for.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#18]
@John Pickford

Dr Who. Future Tactics was extensively prototyped in Blitz. The AI was converted line for line from the Blitz code as were several other key parts of the game.

Oh Wow!!! So Future Tactics was actually created first in Blitz3D!! Interesting!! Yes... I agree with skitchy here! Somebody should make a BIG DEAL about this so that the gaming industry would take noticed to Blitz3D!! This is awesome indeed! So this game is available for the XBOX, PS2, and the GameCube??! Post me a link!! Id' like to take a look at it!! ;)

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#19]
I gave the source away for my first game and that has reasonably good AI, I am making a new AI for the sequel.

Code: http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1034
Game: http://www.bansheestudios.com/games/sc2armageddon.htm

My best AI wasnt in DB, but I think the sequel will top everything i've done up until now. I dont know how it fares against these other games though because i'm new.