How to create FMOD .oxm audio files.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How to create FMOD .oxm audio files.

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi.

The oxm stuff in the new update could be very usefull. I've found a tool on the fmod site to convert xm files to oxm. But how and with which app do i make xm files?

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#2]
I use MadTracker 2 for creating xm files. You can find it at:

www.madtracker.org

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#3]
thx

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#4]
Or you could use the original FastTracker 2 ;]

Deldy(Posted 2004) [#5]
I like Modplug tracker the most. But thats just me :P

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#6]
does anyone know if there is a way to control the musical parts in an .xm or .oxm file from Blitz? That is being able to control how much and in what order the parts are played?

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#7]
I am confused... are .XM or .oxm smaller than .ogg or .mp3... There probably needs to be a little tech info on this...

Do they sound better?

-RZ

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#8]
yes, in general they are, but you can't compare these formats. .xm consists of small pieces of wave files that are combined by the tracker format, the creation process is done by the tracker. .oxm is the same thing only that the wave pieces are converted to .ogg, therefor smaller.

You can convert tracker files to wave, mp3 or ogg, but not the other way around.

Deldy(Posted 2004) [#9]
You CAN convert them the other way around, but makes no sence, and files would be very large :D

XM is a sampler format. (think as the sound on a AMIGA, SNES and other consoles, or your old games on your comp.)

MP3, OGG is a sound format (The ons there actually makes the sound)

Sampler formats is a collection of sounds, therefore if you have 3 sound you whant to make a piece of music out of, you make a sampler format. The sampler format saves the 3 sounds, and then makes a track out of playing that 3 sounds in different nodes. Therefore you actually just save the 3 sounds, and some information about then they sould be played, so the file would be smaller.

Unreal Tournament uses XM, and other formats like that.

Hopes that helps

Rob(Posted 2004) [#10]
UT2004 uses ogg vorbis.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#11]
Since I don't think the explanations above are quite good enough, I'll do my best here:

.mid is a sequenced music format. It contains no sample (sound) data, only the timing data needed to play notes and effects. Playback utilises the general midi playback of your sound card, or a MIDI supportive device (keyboard or synth) if you have one hooked up. General MIDI stores a large collection of differant samples in a bank, on your sound card, generally.

.ogg, .wav and .mp3 are plain streamable sample formats. .wav stores the sound data in it's raw digital form, .ogg and .mp3 compresses this raw data. This is kind of the same as the differance between a BMP picture and a JPEG picture.

.xm, .it, .s3m and .mod, amongst others, are 'tracker' formats. These formats are kind of a combination of the above two formats. Tracker formats contain timing data similar to a .mid file, but also contain a mini-bank of samples inside the same file. Only the samples needed are stored in the file.

Generally, tracker formats only store their sample data in an uncompressed, .wav-like form. .oxm is great in that it compresses all those samples using the .ogg format, which means you truely do get the best of both worlds.

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#12]
Thanks that clear's up a lot.

Deldy(Posted 2004) [#13]
I talked about original Unreal Tournament

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#14]
The entire original Unreal engine uses it and xm if I remember correctly? This covers Unreal, UT and Deus Ex.

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#15]
No they used umx! :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#16]
Eh, shut it. =]