somethings wrong

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/somethings wrong

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2004) [#1]
I doin't know where to begin to describe my problem. When I first downloadaed and purchased Blitz3D, everything worked fine. I was able to run the sample programs excellently. I wrote a few quick demos, and those ran as well. Just yesterday, I booted up my Blitz IDE to begin work on my latest project, (sorry guys, I forgot to bring the code with me!) and all I get is a black screen after I compile. I forget how many changes I made to my system between the two events, but the major two that I remember is upgrading to DirectX 8.1 and upgrading to Blitz3D to 1.86. (I just recently seen update 1.87 available, and may play around with that version).
I'm wondering if these two events are the culprit of my problems, or is there anything that I could be missing.

BTW, I'm also willing to accept the fact that my code is not written correctly, but the sample demos that came with the program are not working correctly as well.

Thanks guys for any help that you could give me!

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#2]
I would suspect the DirectX upgrade as most likely. If you go StartMenu->Run and type dxdiag you can test that DirectX is alive and well. If it fails you may need new graphics card drivers to go with the newer version of DirectX.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#3]

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2004) [#4]
xmlspy,

I know about RenderWorld, and Flip. Is UpdateWorld part of the Blitz3D command set??

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#5]
While
move3d stuff around
updateworld
renderworld
2d Stuff
flip
Loop

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hmm,

Good thought but...

That would not explain why the original demos dont work now though?

Try a windowed version of your code;

Graphics3d 800,600,32,2

Also ensure Debug is always on whilst developing your code.

Which IDE are you using btw?

IPete2.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2004) [#7]
I'm using the ide that came with Blitz3D

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#8]
Please post one small prog/source code which does not work so we can see it.

IPete2.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#9]
I would take a wager on it being the DirectX upgrade - and that you actually installed the developer version of DX rather than the user version. Many problems arise when using the deeloper version, and this sounds kinda like one of them =]

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#10]
I had something similar happen but then I upgraded to DX9 and have had no probs since. I am using:

Athlon64 3200+, 1024ram, 7200rpm 80gigHD, Ati 7000 (yeah I am going to upgrade as soon as I can figure out how to tell the wife I "really" need it!)

:)

-RZ

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2004) [#11]
Well, I haven't solved my real problem, (finding the cause of why the scenes and the demos wouldn't preview) but I did come about a work-around. I reset my computer, uninstalled my version of Blitz, and re-installed Blitz using the downloaded 'zipped' file I purchased from Blitz Research.
Everything works fine now, and I can continue on with my work!

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#12]
Well, try to upgrade to 1.87, maybe your problem is obsolete with 1.87 :)

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#13]
eBusiness he allready did. Think its a Dx thing.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2004) [#14]
Say Neomancer,
why are you calling me a he?

Deldy(Posted 2004) [#15]
LOL. He got in the trap there. :-D

Good luck by coding