Realistic Sky

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Realistic Sky

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#1]

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#2]
Couldn't you have two texture layers and then as you fade one out you fade the other in with alpha?

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#3]
You can't do much with a skybox, altho you can fade one out using alpha to reveal another behind it. You might want to take a look at sky domes, they are probably more flexible for effects.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#4]

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#5]

Barnabius(Posted 2004) [#6]
Aliencodec is working on "SKYFAB", which should address all your needs.

This from their site:
"We are hard at working putting together a new tool titled 'SKYFAB'. This new tool will offer 6 layers of cloud coverage and dynamic day to night transition changes. Expect a demo soon."

Barney

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#7]

puki(Posted 2004) [#8]
"xmlspy" why not just layer 2+ cloud planes with different textures (or sizes) and move them at different speeds - you can get reasonably realistic looking effects.

Edit: using alpha (of course).

Mac M(Posted 2004) [#9]
Try with perlin noise. There is some good theory about it. I experimented it in B3D some years ago and was very realistic.
Also here is an example in DOS:
http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_clouds.htm

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#10]
For a changing skybox I would suggest using a type of perlin noise algo.
Use a scrolling texture map, only use part of it at a time to texture the skybox.
Then you can change the unseen area using perlin noise.
The perlin noise concept allows for a gradual change.
Just don't change to big an area at once, Perlin can be very slow.
If you get one designed I hope you share it with us.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#11]

puki(Posted 2004) [#12]
It looks as realistic as a large slug, called Rodney, imitating a dead otter's packed lunch whilst triple yawning at a poodle's back legs.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#13]
I don't see any perlin noise there. I see a guy's face stretched over the sky and in the background. :-)

Perlin noise will make nice clouds, but you need to tweak it or else you'll just end up with something that looks like an overcast rainy day.

Tweaking it involves using an exponential equation to modify the output to create "holes" in areas which are darker than average, thus creating "clouds" where the holes are not.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#14]