Windows gui coding

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Windows gui coding

David819(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi i have a userlib file which i got from the blitz site somewhere :(, and i was wanderin how i can make my own window with the commands, i know you have to register the window class but how and how do you use the commands to make up the window, i have a c++ souce to making a window but it does not help, please can anyone help me please?

Robert(Posted 2004) [#2]
You can't do it from Blitz because there is no way to get pointers to functions (which you need to create a callback function). You would need at least some supporting help from a DLL written in another language.

The basic steps are:

1. Create a WNDCLASSEX structure and fill it in, then call RegisterClassEx to register the window class.

2. Write a WNDPROC function to process messages sent to the window. This is called by Windows every time a message is sent to the window.

3. Use CreateWindow or CreateWindowEx to actually create the window.

4. Use either GetMessage or PeekMessage to retrieve the window messages, and TranslateMessage + DispatchMessage when you have finished with them.

David819(Posted 2004) [#3]
thanks

Robert(Posted 2004) [#4]
Actually, just had a thought. It *might* be possible to get normal classes like Buttons to work because you don't need to write window procedures for them.

David819(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks, one last thing where can i get all the function and parms for the windows dll files?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#6]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winprog/winprog/windows_api_reference.asp