Faster Rain?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Faster Rain?

Rogue Vector(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

I've implemented a basic rain system in my game engine, which is based on Mikkel Fredborg's MGS rain demo - found here:
http://www.blitz3dfr.com/home.htm
in the examples section.

In my opinion this is the best looking rain generator I've come across but, in my test level, there is too much of a noticable lag between when the player-camera moves and when the rain moves.

So, in other words, the player moves...there's a slight delay... and then the surfaces that the rain is rendered onto jump to the new position.

Does anyone know how to rectify this, or has anyone written code that surpasses Mikkel's system.

If so, I would really appreciate it if you could share it with the community.

Regards,

Rogue Vector

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#2]
i noticed that my self. i did it once, but i recently lost my source code to do this properly.

i think i did it with out frame tweening

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#3]
the reason that happens is because when you move the camera, the rain doesnt move aswell. The rain is simply created above the camera out of range and then it slowly falls down. if you can hack it to increase the field of vision for the rain, or reduce the fov for the camera, that may reduce it

Tiggertooth(Posted 2004) [#4]
Several of the professional game engines I have worked on (PS2 in particular) have some of the rain particles exist in 2D screen space. In this way, there is always a layer of camera-relative rain that gives the general impression of rain.

Then, 3D particles fill out the rain, giving it depth and splashes. The result is much finer control over the rain and of course when you move the camera the 2D rain always stays with it filling in the gaps until the new 3D particles arrive to flush it all out.

Ken