bb3d sound system..

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/bb3d sound system..

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#1]
From what I've seen and heard, the blitz 3d sound system is quite lacking. So, why hasn't anyone written a userlib or just plain old blitz functions for it? From looking at the docs, I can see that using 2d sound functions, a very useful multi-listener 3d sound system could be achieved. The only problem seems to be the inability to work with over 3 speakers. So, can the blitz sound system work with 5.1 surround or will I have to use my jedi mind powers to persuade someone to write a dll? I am planning on writing and releasing a 3d sound system sometime, but I first need to be able to get over 2 or 3 speakers. And maybe a speed control would be nice, but now I'm just being picky.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
I've only got 2 speakers on my PC so I don't have a definitive yes or no, however, when you set up a listener you can have emitters behind and infront of you so I would assume it just works with full surround... I'm probably wrong though!

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#3]
you could be right, but what about using 2d sound commands?

maverick(Posted 2004) [#4]
Just use the BASS library , it`s far better than blitz3D builtin sound functions in my opinion ,, plus it`s true 3D sound including the capability to use all the funky EAX and DirectX 3d sound features

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#5]
The Blitz3D sound system, despite it's name, supports 2 channels. It updates the pitch, frequency and volume of sounds attached to entities in real time. But that's it. You could do it yourself (and considering the mystery involving the CreateListener parameters) you'd probably still have -more control-. But for the FMOD features in Blitz at this time, you couldn't do it any -better-. I don't know if that actually means anything but hey, Iknow what I'm talking about.

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#6]
i noticed this, before i had 4 chanels and all for channels worked, but now some where along the updates, that ability dissapeared!

I have an exe that was written in blitz a while back and it used 4 channels, (a sound that would move around my room) now it uses just left & right (on both back and front speakers)

I think someone should write a .dll or a lib for this, I cant cos im not a strong coding in C++