feature request

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/feature request

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#1]
This is a very simple feature request for bb3d. Actually more of an alteration. The load font command is currently local. This makes no sense, seing as it is rather slow to load a font, and there is very little reason to have a local font. Perhaps have an option in the function to make it local or global, and default to global (I can see where this could come in for type instances). It may save a bit of trouble, and won't be to hard to implement (I'll assume)

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
Isn't local for me.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#3]
Perhaps have an option in the function to make it local or global

;font = LoadFont("verdana",16) ; uncomment this for local font
Global font = LoadFont("verdana",16); uncomment this for global font
dotext("hello")

Function dotext(t$)
	SetFont font
	Text 0,0,t$
	WaitKey
	End
End Function

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
I think he means it checks the local folder for fonts, instead of the global font folder. I remember having a ton of problems getting custom fonts to work due to the way londfont looks for stuff too.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#5]
That, and also that I have to put global before calling loadfont, which just seems a bit silly because there's very little need to have a local font. It confused me before I learned how it works by reading the docs...

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
Text command is excrutiatingly slow.
Instead consider www.playerfactory.co.uk fontext. I bought it for very little and use it often.

It's also optionally hardware accelerated.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
I also recommend FonTEXT for bitmap fonts. It has a tool to create a font image and include code for using that font. Oh, and it is useful for implementing graphical UI elements like menu buttons.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#8]
LoadFont loads fonts from the "global" ( windows ) font folder, but it's very picky about the fonts it will load. In order to load a font, the filename of the font needs to be exactly the same as the "internal" name of the font. Double click a font, get the "internal" name and rename the font to match and you're fine. Of course, relying on what fonts will be on a system is dangerous.

FonText is great for making fonts, though I find SSwift's GUI system much more logical in actually using the code. Seth has a free 2d/3d Bitmap Font library, which is lurking around in the Blitzcoder showcase area somewhere, I'm pretty sure.