3D Shadows

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3D Shadows

Diablo(Posted 2004) [#1]
I want to know if their are any tutorials or code sinppets on how to do real time shadows in blitz3d. I Had a look but couln't find anything on the subject?

Thnx in advance :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
I'm sure there are some bits and pieces in the code archives, check out towel shadows and I'm pretty sure fredborg has recently done a real time shadow thing.

That aside, I don't mean to sound rude but this is your first post and you're talking about some really advanced stuff, are you sure you want to start with this kind of thing? Apologies if you've been blitz coding for the past couple of years and this is your first post.

Diablo(Posted 2004) [#3]
I've had the demo for a long time and i lern fast (that is about programing).

PS Thnx

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hi Stefanous,

The sad truth is that Blitz doesn't support it by default, and most of the code snippets are too slow to use in a more complex environment. If you keep this in mind, I think some snippets are pushing the boundries of shadow calculation - excellent stuff.
You could make a simple shadow system by linepicking below the character, and placing a sprite on the surface. Okay, certainly not a real shadow projection, but it does a job.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#5]
This is plenty fast for most stuff: http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1010

Have fun!

TroM(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hi,

Is there a way to remove a receiver, without calling DL_init and assigning receivers in every loop?

Thanks

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#7]
I found it hurt the FPS of my game to have multiple charicters with real shadows so I just went with a dark sprite underneath the player. Not pretty but it saves the FPS.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
sswift shadow system