light in smoke

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/light in smoke

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#1]
jsut thinkg about this, and how could it be done? iwas thinking using particles for light and if picking from the camera through them also resulted in it going through smoke the particle is shown?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
Maybe I would rather try to use fading pseudovolumetric Light meshes as seen in the tecno demo. Then set the blending mode to multiplication or addition, so the smke will only show up when it passes the light beams.

Here you can see what I ment when I said "fading pseudovolumetric light meshes": (the neon lights)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/gallery/view_pic.php?id=146&gallery=hr&page=1

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#3]
erm erm, how does setting it to add/mult blending work? is that just going to light whatever it passes? why only the light?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
It does multiply or add the brightness, pretty much like when smoke passes some sunbeams eg. from a window. the smoke reflects the sunlight and appears to be bright. The lightbeams are visible by their own as well since there is dust or whatever in the air. But both, lightbeams by their own or smoke in the shadow are only half as bright as the smoke in the sunbeams. For the sunbeams you only need to set the EntityFX to Fullbright. The texture should use an Alphachannel to allow to fade it out smoothly.

There might be many ways to achieve this effect and this method I just described might have pros AND cons.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#5]
oh, i see what your saying! thats not what i meant though jfk :) im talking realtime visible lasers :P