Cinema4d .3ds not working??

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Cinema4d .3ds not working??

Faz(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have created several models in cinema4d in 3ds format, but when i load them into Blitz 3d, only one of the textures is displayed correctly. The parts of the object that I have textured in cinema4d that do not work in blitz are just white. Anyone know my. The texture directory is correct!!!!

Help!!

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
Remember that .3DS has 8+3 character filename restriction (that's why it's called ancient crap file format): for example, your "HugeCockpitPanelTexture.jpg" texture name inside the Cinema4D becomes after .3DS export "HugeCock.jpg" - and not surprisingly the mesh can't find the correct texture. In fact I'll bet that the one texture that shows correctly has a filename that is less than 8 characters long...

Faz(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thing is why does only one texture display, if I turn off the texture that originally displayed, another the didn't, does then display.

Faz(Posted 2004) [#4]
Also Can c4d export in directx format.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]
WHat my modeller friend did, was to export in a lightwave format (.obj) maybe, then load it into ultimate unwrap, then save it as a .b3d file.

The .3ds export always buggered up texture co-ords and stuff :/

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#6]
export to wavefront .obj then open in unwrap 3d or similar then re-apply textures (a pain on larger things) and save as 3ds..should work now...

its something to do with 3ds format only supporting 1 uv per vert so maxon tell me, it can be worked around by "Splitting" the model into front/side/top and re-connecting it (BUT not re-welding/optimizing it)

try it with a cube and cubic mapping, then split it front/side/top and then connect those parts (deleting the seperate ones) and exporting to 3ds works..

Its a shame cus max, any other 3d prog etc seem to handle 3ds's without this hassle :(

salah(Posted 2005) [#7]
chekout www.binaryweave.net/start.aspx ...