Undulating Landscapes

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Undulating Landscapes

JBR(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello, I have a Zarch/Virus style landscape which is wrap-around. I currently am using a couple of Sine functions to create the heights; it does for testing.

I'm looking for a clever way to make the landscape more varied but still nice and smooth. (and still wrap-around).

I've seen Stevie G code but it is not exactly what I'm after.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Marg

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#2]
You could try my terrain modeller TOTAL TERRAIN (or TT2) - click my signature. The sculpting functions are smooth as they use sinwaves.

If you want to make them wrap around, what you could do is this: Make your terrain, then use photoshop or something to scroll the heightmap bitmap so the seams are in the middle (ie if it's a 256x256, offset by 128, 128), then load it back into Total Terrain and smooth out the seams.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
Sswift has a perlin noise function in the code archives, you'll have to have a route around to find it. I've never tried Sswifts one but if it's anything like the rest of his code it should be pretty good.

Perlin noise basically means you get a random height map then smooth it to hell using interpolation. There are linear and cosine interpolation functions in the code archives too. Once you've got your first lump of smoothed random numbers you then do it again but with more numbers and plonk the new lot on the top of the old and so on and so on, these are called octaves.

Anyway... you probably don't need to know and/or care about any of that, find the code archive and you should be sorted.