going underground

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/going underground

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#1]
OK so you create a bumpmap and you texture it and color it.

And you have a really cool dungeon of doom model in .X or .3DS...

And you want to put that ON the map with the entrance sticking out but all the rest under ground.

How??? If you do it the terrain gets in the way.

Do you have to do some sort of load new level transition???

-Rook

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#2]
Most games have, you know, the load level screen. You could make the terrain disappear when the player enter the building, to create the illusion that there is a hole in the terrain.

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#3]
I would push the terrain down under the entrance so the entrance is clear and once the player is inside the entrance use HideEntity to hide the terrain. A corner close to the entrance would help make the transition seemless.

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#4]
what program do i use the make Bumpmap textures?

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#5]
Both replies are great suggestions... If you are not gonna use it just unload it!

Maybe I could put in a "trigger object" that would make the terrain disaappear or reapppear {probably be better if I learned how to spell those words} disappear or reappear.

Too much caffiene at lunch...

eBusiness... can an invisible object still create collision???

-Rook

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#6]
No it can't, at least not if you use hideentity to make it invisible. If you wan't collisions to be active, then set the entityalpha to 0.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
Neo, i assume you mean normal maps? You can convert bump maps into normal maps with nvidias plug in for photoshop. I posted in the user creation ( blitz showcase) forum. It's about 2nd or 3rd page i think. :)

Andy(Posted 2004) [#8]
>OK so you create a bumpmap and you texture it and color
>it.

Are we talking about terrains here?

Andy

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#9]
I took the hideentity idea... If you hide an entity you can keep the collisions on for that entity.... So I load a cube and hide it but keep a collision number on it then when camera hits the cube the ground goes away and on you get. Next level comes from hitting that cube on the stairs down etc. etc.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#10]
Do'nt use hideentity then. Just use:

EntityAlpha mesh,0

Will stop the entity from being rendered, but will keep collisions.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#11]
I would be really useful to have clipping planes in Blitz. They would rock.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yes... that should be a suggestion in B3D wants and needs forum I totally agree!!!

entityalpha does the trick for creating hidden triggers!!! I am using it to spawn baddies as well... OK I am trying to use it for that...

-Rook