Direct X Model problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Direct X Model problem

Almo(Posted 2004) [#1]
(Typing the second time cause i forgot the Topic Title... grrr)

When I do this:

Global GurneyThing = LoadMesh("Gfx/Gurney/Gurney.X")

I get a Memory Access violation, then Entity Does Not exist.

Then
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Blitz3D\bin\blitzcc.exe
abnormal program termination

Then the debugger closes, and there's another memory access violation.
Next:
Hospital Trolley: blitzcc.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x00136fbc" referenced memory at "0x49001574". The memory could not be "read".
Click on OK to terminate the program

The program works with other models, so I think there's something screwy with the model. But the artist has used the same exporter for me many times, with no trouble.

Any ideas what's going on here?

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#2]
Try Loading the mesh into a modelling program, have a look, re-save it

Almo(Posted 2004) [#3]
John (the artist) has reexported this thing 3 times with different settings. It looks fine in 3DSMax.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#4]
Oh kinda sounds like corrupt blitz or maybe worse, bad memory, but if it works fine as you say with different models... I dunno.... :/

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#5]
try exporting it as b3d model. i am sure I had this problem also but can't quite remember how I solved it.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#6]
Are the texture names embedded within the .x file? If they are and they're wrong, you'll get a MAV.

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#7]
too many polys? Vertex floating numbers too high??

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#8]
also which version of .x you exporting in?

Almo(Posted 2004) [#9]
Okay John figured it out.

He did two things.

One, he slected the model, and pasted it into a blank Max doc so only the shaders associated with the actual geometry would be there.

Second, there was a multi-object material, whose parts were numbered 2, 3, 4, and 5. There was no first element, and I think that was causing the problem. He rebuilt that material from its components from scratch.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#10]
If you're exporting from 3D Studio Max, why don't you use b3d file format? B3d Pipeline is available on the Specs and Utils page.

Almo(Posted 2004) [#11]
I'm willing to bet the problem would have ocurred regardless of exporter. Either way, there was an undefined sub-object in the material.