underwater caustics?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/underwater caustics?

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#1]
anyone know where i can get a decent underwater caustics texture? i dont want to generate it real time, because my scene is getting slow as it is! :) i tryed google image search, but the texture was only abotu 50x50 :\

sswift(Posted 2004) [#2]
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~kand/caustics/

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#3]
Cool Image on that site. I had no idea water reflection was so hard.

I had an idea though. If you had a texture you wanted to use and you had a decent paint program that supported layers you could:
1. open that texture
2. save it under a new name so you don't mess up the teture you like
3. make a new layer over the texture and ensure you ar working on that layer only
4. arrange to fill that new layer with a gradient fill from dark to light where Dark = BOTTOM and Light=TOP
5. Now using the layer control palette you BLEND the tansparency of this layer to the one below it. There are a lot of different methods for blending supported by Paint Shop Pro 8, I have no idea about other programs.
6. merge all layers as soon as you get what you want.

I do reccomend trying severl different blends and numbers of transparency before puttin in your program.

--Rook

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#4]
ive also found something really cool - a custics generator, anyone want it?

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#5]
There is one on that website Swift posted a link for.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#6]
www.texturemaker.com is a great tool for making textures, and can also generate caustics.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#7]
I guess it wasn't obvious enough why I posted that link!

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#8]
lol xD wow sswifts thats the generator i was talking about... cool small world (i hadn't checked back here when i found it :) )