Molebox packer alternative ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Molebox packer alternative ?

Filax(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi :)

Try it :

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=75

GfK(Posted 2004) [#2]
It seems like a lot of hassle which is avoided by using Molebox.

Does it use temporary files?

Filax(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yes, but they are deleted in realtime after loading
idem for the mesh + texture.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hmmm... did you look at Molebox at all?

It doesn't create temporary files, doesn't require any additional coding, uses encryption, and the best part is, its fast - as fast as using normal, unprotected, uncompressed media.

If you're using temporary files, then all the encryption and protection in the world is just a big waste of time. It'd be very easy to write a directory monitor in Blitz which exports those temporary files to another folder.

You really need to check out what you're up against. Molebox might be a bit expensive, but its a phenomenal piece of software. Well worth the money.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yes but molebox don't permit to write file from your app
and it don't work with some machine under XP pro and NT
with a network (molebox know bug) :)

Nobody is perfect :)

If you have a method for loading media directly from
memory with blitz :) i take it :)

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#6]
Filax how does your packer compare in speed to Terabits?

Filax(Posted 2004) [#7]
I don't know ! try it maybe ? but i think to be
very speed to decrunch/decrypt data in memory.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#8]
There's an interesting point here... However though, If somebody wants to get your media files badly enough, There's always a way of doing just that! I don't care how good a protection really is!! If a person is a good enough hacker and all, And they want to get at your media files badly enough... They'll figure out a way of doing it! Even with an app' as good as MoleBox is! I was always told that if something can be locked! It can be unlocked as well. I think enough hackers today have proven that point sevral times now! Even MoleBox can be cracked in just the matter of time! I realize MoleBox is a very powerful application and all!! But it's not 100% foolproof either!! There's always going to be somebody out there that's good enough to crack it!! That's my point here! So why is there such a big concern here regarding how safe your media files are? Your only concern should be the average end-user that may be trying to look at your media files... Not everybody in the world!! your not going to stop every hacker there is from obtaining your media files, and that's a known FACT!!

If the packer can add some protection to your media files to help keep the average end-user out of them. then that should be good enough then! :) I've used TeraBit's packer, And it has done a good job for me anyways! But all of this is just my opinion though! ;)

GfK(Posted 2004) [#9]
your not going to stop every hacker there is from obtaining your media files, and that's a known FACT!!
When you go out of your house, do you leave your keys under a plant pot by the door, or take them with you to minimise the risk of being robbed while you're out?

Its all about minimising risk. Fair enough, you can't really stop determined hackers, but there's no need to hand it to them on a plate.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#10]
This is true Gfk! And I most certainly agree with you! :)
I was just merly pointing out the fact that nothing is foolproof now a days! I did say MoleBox was a very powerful application and all... But if a hacker was good enough & determined enough to get at it! There's always a way of getting anything if someone works hard at it! You know what I mean? But yeah! you can take every precaution necessary to minimize the chances of someone grabbing your stuff!
;)

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#11]
it's easy as pie to get the files out of a terabit or filax packed file tho, Molebox requires a BIT more work than that :)

Oh, and writing files from a moleboxed program, isn't a problem, works fine here.

Tracer

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#12]
I am gonna try it. It sounds interesting.

One question... Filax, do you sleep? You crank out more code than anyone I have ever seen...

Admit it... Microsoft has a price on your head... {this is just a JOKE people...}

Great Work

-Rook Zimbabwe

Filax(Posted 2004) [#13]
Lol Rook :) yes i sleep :) but i'm working to much....

WendellM(Posted 2004) [#14]
That looks like it could be useful - I'll check it out. Thanks, filax!

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#15]
There's an interesting point here... However though, If somebody wants to get your media files badly enough, There's always a way of doing just that!
That is only part of the reason for packing your files.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#16]
~I bought molebox~ :)

Filax(Posted 2004) [#17]
Nobody is perfect rob ;) lol

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#18]
The real way to encrypt stuff is to store everything in wierd file formats - make all your file formats procedural, etc. I doubt any hacker is gonna wade through that mess. especially if you use stuff like odd-bit numbers, etc. Of course, this takes a ton of time, and unless you have your own tools, very inefficient files.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#19]
Yup yup... I bought MoleBox too after long "I should really buy this excellent program NOW" period... :)

Nikko(Posted 2008) [#20]
Molebox sucks, I've the pro version but I cannot use it commercially. I crashes some XP computers (blue screen).