Blitz EULA

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz EULA

verfum(Posted 2004) [#1]
What's the situation with making a 'wrapper' for Blitz and selling it?

Is this ok so long as the user of the wrapper is a Blitz registered user?

Where can I find the Blitz EULA?

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#2]
Look for coolbasic and you will see what happens when you decide to wrap blitz and then sell it as your own program.

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#3]
What's the situation with making a 'wrapper' for Blitz and selling it?

If you mean making a wrapper for the Blitz compiler, then the situation would be you getting chased by a very angry Kiwi (Mark Sibly), closely followed by his lawyer.

If you mean making a scripting language based on the BlitzBasic language, then I think that's already been done. I think it's called the 'Blitz Virtual Machine'.

Deldy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well.

Everyone compliling on the blitz compliler needs a license!

So if you make a wrapper and whants to sell it, you cannot give the blitz complier away with it.

But you can make it and sell it, as long as you dont ship the blitz compiler with it.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#5]
It sounds to me like what he's asking is if he could make a wrapper for Blitz to be used from C or maybe Visual Basic by registered Blitz owners.

As far as I know there is no limitation on what you can and cannot program with Blitz. I hope it stays that way.

verfum(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yes - I can understand that doesn't sound right to sell a wrapper without the user having a Blitz license, but I want to definitely clear this up by seeing a copy of the EULA. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
Install the software. If you don't see one, there isn't one. The whole premise of a EULA is that you must be presented with it and agree to it. Being presented with one that wasn't even written when you purchased the software is not legally enforcable and goes against the spirit as well as the letter of the law. I haven't installed for a while, but I'm pretty sure there is no EULA.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
It seems to me that this was discussed to death in another thread already... I was just looking through that thread. There were so many posts it's obvious Mark must know about this, so I don't really see any point in arguing about it more.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#9]
According to a thread on the CoolBasic forum, Mark ok'ed it in IRC, in which case there is indeed nothing more to be said.

verfum(Posted 2004) [#10]
What was the prognosis? Can you or can't you wrap blitz legally?

As far as I could find out, you can as long as you don't distribute the compiler or any files in the Blitz distribution. You can however distribute any EXE compiled with Blitz, no-matter what it does.

verfum(Posted 2004) [#11]
Thanks Sybixsus for letting me know.
Apologies for taking up your time starting a thread that appears to be old hat.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#12]
No worries. Basically what the IRC transcript said was exactly what you've said. That you can do anything with an EXE compiled in Blitz, so long as you don't distribute the compiler.

Here's the thread :

http://www.coolbasic.com/forums/index.php?s=e9f648ba9c9077bccd406d5ed282245f&showtopic=95&st=20

I suspect Mark is unlikely to make further comment on this forum, so if you want any further clarification, you might try emailing him.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#13]
please email:

info@...
mark@...

etc - get a reply from the official source, don't listen to people on the forums.

verfum(Posted 2004) [#14]
Thanks Rob,

I sent a mail to info@blitz a couple of days ago and I'm still awaiting a response.