Direct X 9 and Shaders

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Direct X 9 and Shaders

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#1]
You know, i really am missing the Shader functionality, is there any chance of DirectX 9 in Blitz soon? Direct X 7 feels a bit limited now :(

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#2]
The difference between DX9 and 7 is huge, and I guess you can expect DX9 support only when Bmax is out, and even then there is chance that you have to wait for a DX9 render (I don't know that for sure)

N(Posted 2004) [#3]

is there any chance of DirectX 9 in Blitz soon?

Assuming you mean Blitz3D, I'd dismiss all hopes of seeing DX9 'support' in it. As for BlitzMax, I guess we'll see.

puki(Posted 2004) [#4]
Mmmm - isn't this a bit fuzzy - I don't remember seeing anything to suggest DX9 in BMax - does anyone know if we can expect it?

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#5]
DX9 WAS promised for B3D.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#6]
DX9 WAS promised for B3D.
Yes. It was "coming soon" shortly before DX9 was actually released, about two years ago.

puki(Posted 2004) [#7]
Maybe it will arrive when DX11 struts down the catwalk to my pooter.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#8]
Just to put a few peoples minds at rest, Blitz3D will be receiving a DX upgrade when DX9 comes out. This will involve a potentially messy separation of Blitz2D/Blitz3D, as I still intend to low-spec-ify Blitz2D and going DX9 is not a good way to achieve this!

Things change, I guess.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#9]
MArk said it would be too much of an overhaul to upgrade the dx version (think he was talking bout 8 not 9) So he said it wont be updated til blitzmax

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#10]
:O( oh well, guess i should try to make those nice effects, It work look as good, UT2003 fx, i could do it in dx7, but not TRUEly do it like DX9 can do internally, Has anyone got some way of making a texture "Project" to the polys?

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#11]
Is DX9 gonna be in BlitzMax?

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#12]
No one knows not even mark i would guess

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
OH MY GOD, NOT AGAIN!

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#14]
Last i heard from mark, that B-Max was using OpenGL.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#15]
Mark said he was going to use OpenGL for BlitzMax because OpenGL would be earier to code than that of DirectX 9.0 api would be! So that summerizes the answer I guess!!

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#16]
DX9 is not going to make your game look like unreal 2003, creativity does that. dx7 leaves plenty of space for creativity.

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#17]
i couln'd find that bit of news, i forgot where it was so i asked here.. sorry :)

If OpenGL gonna be faster and better for us?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#18]
creativity does that. dx7 leaves plenty of space for creativity.

True, but shaders are an excellant tool to use with creativity in order to bring your point accross in a nicer way.

Isn't otacon's vivid gl nearing completion? And I think it probably or hopefully has shaders.

I'm assuming mark probably did consider updating to dx9 in b3d, but then realised that such an update would completely demolish the ease-of-use that makes blitz so good in the first place.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#19]
I'm with jHocking on this one. Mark has stated that BMax will have an OGL renderer. DX is not being considered as far as anyone knows. So I guess you can expect that there won't be a DX9 upgrade for B3D anymore either.

I still intend to low-spec-ify Blitz2D and going DX9 is not a good way to achieve this!

In fact then he went one step better and released BlitzPlus =]

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#20]
quit moaning!

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#21]
how many more of these threads are there going to be?! Blitz3D ISNT going to be in Blitz3d mark has said it himself. BlitzMAX could possibly not support it, its going to be centrally OpenGL. that gives you all the functionality of CG anyway :) and i say you stop whinning blitz hasnt got shaders, get c++ and start learning cg! looks damn ard :)

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#22]
Blitz3D ISNT going to be in Blitz3d mark has said it himself
???

NigelC(Posted 2004) [#23]
-

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#24]
You have it all backwards. Blitz moves towards LOWER DirectX versions, not higher.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#25]
ROFL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#26]
oh man, why wont blitz basic do what microsoft do!
Make people buy upgrades!
most people have XP these days and it does come with dx8 (i think) if you supply dx9 with the project, they'll be alright, Games in the past used to do it! i think blitz should too!

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#27]
I would image there are going to be lots more of these threads until Mark releases Max or at least manages to at least let us in on what it will actually have, I'm

Uhh... he has. OpenGL and no sign of DirectX. Numerous comments about the language structure and new features. Core elements that have been hyped since day one, like cross platform compiling etc.

sick of people going on about how wonderful Max is going to be,

Then stop reading BMax related posts.

you haven't seen it, you don't know what its going to be like

I can imagine. And from everything I've read from the man suggests that it's going to be better than that.

All I'm hoping for is a PC equivalent of BB2.

most people have XP these days and it does come with dx8 (i think) if you supply dx9 with the project, they'll be alright,

That's great. Whether it's correct or not doesn't make a differane - you wnat it, so go out and use it. Code a userlib or use somebody else's. It's all possible -right- -now-.

Murphy(Posted 2004) [#28]
oh man, why wont blitz basic do what microsoft do!

that's surly the sickest thing i've readed for ages....

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#29]
Why not write a game with what you've got?

Or buy DB pro.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#30]
The other thing to remember is that moving to a higher version of DirectX will break compatability with Windows 95 and a lot of older hardware.

When you have so many users making games for the shareware market and therefore wanting to pitch to the widest possible audience (e.g. including people still using Windows 95 and 3dfx hardware) it doesn't make sense for a handful of features that only a few people will make use of.

I'm happy with Blitz3D just as it is.

Cheers,

Ryan

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#31]
rsbrowndog - good point.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#32]
Why do you like being on the losing end?

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#33]
halo: Why do you like being on the losing end?

Who are you talking to?

Cheers,

Ryan

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#34]
You, the one who is arguing against improving Blitz3D because you want to offer support for a decade-old version of Windows.

"We don't want it to be good, because we want to suck."

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#35]
Well if a machine is running windows 95 chances are its worse then a low end Pentium 2, So its already lost compatability.

Gamemaker(Posted 2004) [#36]
how many people who have computers that old play games? wouldnt blitz tend to a bigger market if it were better?

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#37]
somebody will emulate it!? hehe

Blitz needs to move forward.

or why not have Blitz3D.dx7 and Blitz3D.dx9
:)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#38]
Halo,

I'm not going to bother.

You do your thing, I'll do mine.

At the end of the day, no matter how much you bitch and whine, it ain't gonna happen anyway! ;)

Cheers,

Ryan

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#39]
Yeh.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#40]
This has been done to death. I don't think we need yet another topic on it.

No, seriously.

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#41]
about what? the whining and moaning or dx9?

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#42]
dx9, This topic has come up many times befor.

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#43]
about compatibility.
dx9 can break compatibility with old hardware but will the new generation Nvidia and ATI graphic cards still support opengl?
I have alwayes been on opengl side but it is a matter of fact that MS won the API war

NigelC(Posted 2004) [#44]
-

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#45]
will the new generation Nvidia and ATI graphic cards still support opengl?
Definitely yes

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#46]
OpenGL has been around for sometime, im supprised that Blitz didn't just simply have instead.

What do i know, i didn't write blitz so i dont know how difficult it was to make Blitz use DX7!

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#47]
CharlieMoon

says who Alberto?

If you mean the API war, just count how many new professional games use directx 9.0 and how many use opengl, I suppose it is 10 to 1
if you mean the support of the graphic card manufactures, I am just guessing, but I am concerned that it will be a natural consequence in a short \ medium run.
Nvidia and ATI sell mainly in the game market segment. professional graphic market segment (still in the hand of opengl) is not so important for them.
Also have a look at their demos and avertisement, directx only is mentioned

NigelC(Posted 2004) [#48]
-

Cronos(Posted 2004) [#49]
the world evolves, the new technologies are the future !!!

hard-ware -> pixel shader, bump mapping, lighting, FX

can people live in the past ??

NigelC(Posted 2004) [#50]
-

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#51]
CharlieMoon

I suppose you answered without even reading my post.
Well I do not mean my opinion is so important but ,
, no offence, if you reply at least read it .

"how many professional apps use DirectX, 1 out of hundereds "

it is exactly what I said :

"still in the hand of opengl", referring to pro graphic

The point is that blitz3d is focused on PC games
neither on graphic applications nor on console games

"Just because you are some kind of MS fanboy "

I wrote

"I have alwayes been on opengl side "

"you'll find OpenGL mentioned"

Of course opengl is still mentioned, and I hope it will be also in the future
Anyway,nobody can deny. I suppose, that NVida and ATI are investing more on direct x then on opengl.

It does not mean that they will drop opengl in the future , of course

NigelC(Posted 2004) [#52]
-

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#53]
CharlieMoon - I noticed your main point in favour of OpenGl was that lots of applications use it. Interesting argument considering that blitz is geared towards game development.

NigelC(Posted 2004) [#54]
-

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#55]
Thanks for telling me to stop reading threads that concern BlitzMax you contribution is very valued

I said posts - and you were the one bitching about them.

however I have taken the time to check the subject of this thread but I seem to be missing the part about shaders in BlitzMax, would you be kind enough to point me in the direction of this information.

Again, I never inferred that this was a BMax related thread, just enlightening you on some of the things Mark has said about BMax, which is what you actually brought up.

However if you are unable to do this would you kindly F**K OFF.

Tell you what. I'll do that when you grow up. You'll have to excuse me for trying to help, you seem to be incapable of receiving it humbly. So, my apologies. Hope you can forgive me.

Interesting argument considering that blitz is geared towards game development.

Naturally, OpenGL and DirectX play little part in whether you can actually make a game or not. OpenGL is a great idea for BMax, simply because if it were DirectX, it would not be possible to release it for Max or Linux, which is of course one of it's huge selling points.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#56]
We already have bump mapping, better than that actually, normal mapping.

NigelC(Posted 2004) [#57]
Today I've been watching the celebrations of the D-Day landings, that was an event
that changed history and the lives we live today, giving us freedom.

What happens here is of no consequence, it won't change history, it won't change
every bodies life.

So to be honest So carry on with your bickering and arguing, I'm sure it gives Mark a
warm glow inside to see you getting on so well and I'm sure it will make him want to
complete BlitzMax all the quicker.

CM signing off.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#58]
CharlieMoon this is completely off-topic

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#59]
I think Baps sums it up nicely.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#60]
I live in a giant bucket.

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#61]
After Reading this thread so far, I have not seen any coments on what is really important here.
Is it not possible to setup a "decl" file in the user lib for blitz,
that will allow access to all the DirectX 9 functions?
Anyone can download the DX9 api, and docs.
Blitz3D should have no problem accessing the DX9 DLL's, just like it does the Windows API DLLs.

David(Posted 2004) [#62]
you cant make device of dx9 in the window of blitz3d game and if you use external dll...... use c++ and no use external dll ;) beacuse you need make all com objects and configure devices, etc...

(my english is not very good sorry if you cant understad)