unable to create 3d scene

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/unable to create 3d scene

Red(Posted 2004) [#1]
What king of bug is it?

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2004) [#2]
i get that if i try to run at too high of a resolution, or if i run too many blitz windows

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
Please give us more information, especially specifics about your comptuer. A great many things could be preventing Blitz from creating a 3D scene, starting with no 3D support on the video hardware.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
Usually to do with the graphics command, i think.

mongia2(Posted 2004) [#5]
i think.

you have create object 3d before

graphics3d ecc

example

cube=createcube

graphics3d 640,480,16,1

Mongia

Red(Posted 2004) [#6]
I thought that Blitz selected the correct colordetph.

;Screen Mode
For i=CountGfxModes3D() To 1 Step -1
	If GfxModeWidth(i)=800 Or GfxModeWidth(i)=1024	
		Graphics3D GfxModeWidth(i),GfxModeHeight(i),0,1		
		Exit 	
	EndIf 
Next

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#7]
Firstly, yuo MUST set Graphics3D before loading any objects.
Secondly, I get this a lot, and the reason seems to be that the graphics card simply isn't 'ready'.
I just click 'OK' then rerun and it's fine.
Probably you (and I) need to implement more serious testing using the other Graphics commands to see if the card is ready.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#8]
Doesn't this topic belong in the NEWbies area?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#9]
this can occur when you have another 3d app running ie milkshape is a culprit often for me but it seems random.
Like mentioned just seems the card isn't ready.

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#10]
"Doesn't this topic belong in the NEWbies area? "
No. I think this is ongoing.
The arrival of this message seems to be pretty much random (except for, as stated progs like Milkshape running), but even on a freshly rebooted system it can happen.
The cause and cure for this could really do with being defined.
Anybody?

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#11]
I was justy playing around with various resolutions the ohter day, and, despite wat gfxmodeexists states etc., sometimes this error would appear if I turned debugger off (making FullScreen).

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#12]
I am running a:
Atlon64 3200+ with 1024ram and a ATi 9000 AGP... My ONLY problem like this came in using SCALED setting on graphicsmode... That problem was that the initial scale was too small on my desktop

Oh yeah... desktop is 1024/768

No thoer probs though... It could be AGP card related.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#13]
Look at me, I used the search function!

This problem happens 99% of the time, on my rather old Compaq. (Which I am hoping to use as my "productivity box.")
It has 512 MB RAM, 32 MB Intel Extreme Integrated Graphics Card, and Windows XP Pro. It has no network/Internet connection.

If I run an executable on my decent computer, it all works. If I move that same executable over to the productivity box, it gives me the "Unable to create 3d scene" error.

The error occurs on everything that I have created to this day. Including my SelfEmbedder end of the Embedded Window of Blitz test that I have. (Since I happen to have that thing's source readily available...)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=44366
I have tried changing the resolution on that to a regular value, but to no avail.

I have found that the error does not occur with the sample in Blitz3d\samples\Hi-Toro\Shooter\Shooter\shooter-testbed.bb

So, has anyone had any discoveries on this in the last... err... year?

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#14]
Yes, I found yet another reason:

NetMeeting appears to ‘hijack’ the graphics card’s 3D capability (?). Disable Netmeeting - problem goes away!

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#15]
Well... actually, it looks like the stupid thing just doesn't like running B3d's 3d stuff in windowed mode. Could this be correct?

In retrospect, I don't know how I could possibly stand using that computer...

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#16]
At first I was like "huh? I don't remember writing that." And then I saw "posted 1 year ago." jeezus!