entityPickMode confusion/trouble

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/entityPickMode confusion/trouble

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm not entirely sure about this, but when I set an entitypickmode to 3 ("Box (EntityBox is used)"), I assume that I should be able to pick an entity without having to actually do a linepick directly onto one of its polygons. So, I could pick between two of a mesh's polygons and still select the entity. Am I correct? If this is the case, do I need to do some kind of different setup for it as well, because it isn't working for me if I just change EntityPickMode fort\mesh,2 to EntityPickMode fort\mesh,3.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
Entitybox sucks for picking :)

But it should be fine, as long as you set up your box correctly. To see if it's setup correctly, try giving it an entitytype, and moving a sphere into it, and seeing wher it stops, to see the boxes boundaries.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hey, check this out too. It's summit from the code archives about rectangle picking in 3d.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=729

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#4]
But it should be fine, as long as you set up your box correctly. To see if it's setup correctly, try giving it an entitytype, and moving a sphere into it, and seeing where it stops, to see the boxes boundaries.

How do I set up my box, do I have to create a cube and hide it? My town is a small object consisting of many tiny cubes and other shapes. Right now you have to click on one of those cubes, but I'm hoping to not need to do that - so you could click anywhere in the vicinity of the town (within the boundaries of the mesh) and pick the object. I hope that made sense :P

Speaking of my towns, does anyone know how to make it have hard edges for the 3d model? Right now it defaults to soft edges and it looks terrible.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]
Ok, you should set up a cube, and scale it so it covers the whole town. Then, set the cube's alpha to zero.

Now set the pickmode of the cube to polgon picking. That should sort you out :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#6]
Um, or just use pickmode 3 along with the command EntityBox entity,x#,y#,z#,width#,height#,depth#