Textureless wireframe and other questions

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Textureless wireframe and other questions

big10p(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi

I'm going to write a model viewer and want a wireframe mode that doesn't texture the wireframe, as B3D does with textured models. I was thinking of just making a copy of the model and texturing it with a flat-coloured texture. Is there a better way, do you think?

Thanks in advance!

[edit] I'll leave the "other questions" for another time. :)

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#2]
couldn't you just switch the texture back and forth with the entitytexture command, would you really need to make a copy of the mesh to do this? Switching textures doesn't really change the model, only the appearance, I would think.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#3]
Well, my first thoughts were to simply strip the texture when displaying in wireframe and then re-applying the texture when out of wireframe. However, not only am I not sure how to strip a texture (possible?) but I also figured things would get complicated with models with multiple surfaces/textures.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#4]
I use a simple

If Wire = 0 Then EntityTexture entity,texture

line where Wire represents 1 (True) for Wireframe or 0 (False) for solid.

Odds On(Posted 2004) [#5]
Create a white texture and apply it to a higher layer of the textured mesh.. setting the texture blend mode of that texture to 0 will make it invisible when you're not in wireframe mode.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thanks for all the replys so far, folks. ;)

Malice, that would be nice and simple but how would I strip the texture when going into wireframe mode?

Chris, would that cause the mesh to be displayed all-white in wireframe, even though the mesh is still textured? I don't really understand how this would work - I don't have any experience of using multiple texture layers, though. Also, what if the model I'm viewing is already multi-textured and using all available texture layers?