EPS Particle System ??

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/EPS Particle System ??

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#1]

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Evil Princess Sarah particle system? (a little joke for the 8bit Theater fans in the audience)

Oh, and I love your Fruedian slip there. It's Particle Candy, not Eye Candy, although the latter does fit.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#3]

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#4]

Eole(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hi !

You have the source code of the GUI, it's a very big exemple :-)

Include "EPS_V2.bb"

Graphics3D 800,600,32,2
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

Global Time_Passed#
Global Old_Time
Global fps
Global frames
Global Render_Time

light=CreateLight()
pivot = CreatePivot()

Camera = CreateCamera()
PositionEntity Camera,0,5,10
PointEntity Camera,pivot

; REplace by your texture parameters
Handle_Texture = LoadAnimTexture( "fire3.bmp",2,64,64,0,1 )

; Initialisation de l'emetteur
gE_IdEmitter = EPS_Init_Emitter(202.0,-0.5,6.7,0.0,180.0, pivot ,0.0,0.0,0.0, Camera ,2,1,1,1,0.0)

; Particle init
EPS_Init_Particule(gE_IdEmitter ,1.0,0.0,50.0,0.0,handle_texture,1,1.0,3,1,1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0,0.0,0.0,0,0)
EPS_Init_ParticuleColor( gE_IdEmitter,200.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,213.0,255.0,17.0)

; optional fonction
EPS_Init_ParticuleRotation( gE_IdEmitter,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0)
EPS_Init_EmitterWind( gE_IdEmitter ,0.0,0.0,0.0 )

Old_Time=MilliSecs()

While Not KeyHit(1)

Time_Machine()

EPS_Update( Time_Passed# )

RenderWorld()

Text 10,10,"FPS : " + FPS
Flip()

Wend

Function Time_Machine()

; Calcul du temps ecoule entre 2 boucles
Time_Passed# = MilliSecs() - Old_Time
Time_Passed# = Time_Passed# / 1000
Old_Time=MilliSecs()

; Calcul du FPS
Frames=Frames+1
If MilliSecs()-Render_Time=>1000 Then Fps=Frames : Frames=0 : Render_Time=MilliSecs()

End Function

Eole(Posted 2004) [#6]
> but it looks cool, not as nice as eye candy

I not really sure, i say that because I not really work on effect with my particle system. I think there is a lot of parameters (more than candy ...)

Sometime I thinking to do a EPS 3.0 with a real user guide, and simple syntax to implement it

Filax(Posted 2004) [#7]
Good news !

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#8]
I like the EPS system very much it is also easier to use than Particle Candy as it comes with a GUI editor. An EPS 3.0 would be great !

Rob(Posted 2004) [#9]
it's not sincle surface though, and hence runs like a dog on medium/low end systems.

Eole(Posted 2004) [#10]
You think thar a single surface system is more faster , i'm not really sure, peraph in old PC. But with a single surface I can't do all that EPS do ...

i look you particle system, it 's not a single surface particle system, it's a quad particle system ...

Eole(Posted 2004) [#11]
I dont' see the other exemple ... it's a single surface

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#12]
You think thar a single surface system is more faster , i'm not really sure, peraph in old PC. But with a single surface I can't do all that EPS do ...

Single surface particle systems are still a lot faster on my Athlon XP 2700+ and Radeon 9700 Pro. I'm not sure what EPS does that you couldn't do on a single surface, but Particle Candy manages a huge range of parameters and effects. It's a pain to code it, of course, but ultimately I couldn't use a particle system that wasn't single surface, because it would just be too much of a drain on the speed.

Eole(Posted 2004) [#13]
Why not to try to translate EPS in single system ...

>Single surface particle systems are still a lot faster
But you campare Candy with other system ?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#14]
But you campare Candy with other system ?

Yeah, I compared it with yours and Gosse's. Both are very nice, but Particle Candy is much faster with comparable effects. ( Comparable effects meaning same number of particles, near as possible same parameters, same fillrate, etc. Can't be exactly the same, but close enough that the single surface nature is the only explanation I could come up with for the large speed difference. )

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#15]
Eole,

please do a EPS3 with a single system if its gonna be faster, I like it but its does kill my FPS.

Calibre(Posted 2004) [#16]
Hello...

I am having problems with EPS .... only one Emitter create particles for same time... why?

I create two emitter, but the second emitter particles only after the first is killed...

help me!

Thanks...

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#17]
There was a bug in the original EPS system that prevented using more than 1 emitter - I would have thought that this was fixed by now but if not you can download an (unofficial) bug fixed version from here (2nd link - tutorial files):

http://data.forumhoster.com/forum_smiff/index.php?s=caaf8c2983d48736e3e84ba46c3bfb7b&showtopic=13