copymesh

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/copymesh

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#1]
Does copymesh copy a mesh and attached animations?

(Can't try this out at the moment - at work)

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#2]
I wouldn't think so because there's no CopyAnimMesh()

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hmm. I'll do a test tonight.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#4]
Copyentity copies the animations if the mesh entity has animation.

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#5]
If you really can't get away with using CopyEntity then you will have to use LoadAnimeMesh to load in the number of copies you need.

PowerPC603(Posted 2004) [#6]
Is there much difference in time between using CopyMesh/CopyEntity and reloading the entire mesh from disk?

I've no real meshes on disk (yet) and I wanted to know this.
I'm planning to create a game where the meshes are loaded when needed.

I'm trying to create a space-sim (in the style of Freelancer or X-2).

I want to load the spacestations the moment the player enters a new sector (or system).

In X-2 you have sometimes 5 power plants in the same sector.
If I were to do the same, should I use CopyMesh or just load the same station 5 times?

Also, when using CopyMesh or CopyEntity, which one keeps the hierarchy intact?

I saw in the help-files that CopyMesh performs a "deep" copy, what do they mean by that?
Is it like reloading the mesh?

Rob(Posted 2004) [#7]
Copymesh copies the mesh. There is no animation and no relation to the mesh it is copied from. It is a brand new mesh.

CopyEntity should be called CloneEntity as it is still linked to the original. Moving a vert on the original will move a vert on all copies.

The power of CopyEntity is so you don't need to load a million of the same. You can still modify them in simple ways such as alpha and texture I think.

Ziltch(Posted 2004) [#8]
Copymesh also changes the number of surfaces. Copy a cylinder and count surfaces before and after.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#9]
also if you use copyentity, extract the animations from the original mesh and then use those to animate all copies.