Thumbnail Images

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Thumbnail Images

JoeGr(Posted 2004) [#1]
I wonder if any of you clever people can suggest a way of creating thumbnails from image files without using the LoadImage() command (which is too slow for this purpose). Alternatively, does anyone know how to read the 'Thumbs.db' files generated by Windows XP, which I assume contain thumbnail information.

Deldy(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well, you cant really resize an image without loading the full one first. (You could go into hex code or something, though)

The way to do it is properly to load the image, and save the thumbnail in a file for later use.

Sorry but I cant see some other way.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#3]
I wonder if its possible to read the data directly, but if you only read every XXXth byte or something, thereby effectively reading a lower resolution and smaller image.

i.e.

An image is 64x64

You read every 4th pixel data

x...x...x...x...x...x...x etc.

? dunno bit complicated...

JoeGr(Posted 2004) [#4]
@ Malice

I thought of that too, but I have little idea how to go about it myself. Too complicated for my humble talents I suspect.

I realise that it may well be impossible (or at least very difficult) to do what I'm asking. Just thought I'd give it a shot. If anyone *does* know how to do this, please, please let me know as it would be tremendously useful to me.

Cheers,

Deldy(Posted 2004) [#5]
It is porsible yes, but you need to save your images as bitmaps, then it sould be no problem. (But i wonder if its faster)

plus If you do so you will properly get terrible resizing, as you dont use any of the resizing technologies.

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#6]
There's a relatively low priced DLL available from http://www.smalleranimals.com/ that does thumbnailing amongst many other things. The docs for it aren't great though, and I'm not sure if it's compatible with Blitz.

I think it was called the 'ImgSource' library. You can also get a free demo version of it.

JoeGr(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks Axeman. Checking that out now.