Feature request: DX Caps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Feature request: DX Caps

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#1]
Yo,

I need a command / userlib that would allow me to know for example "Max Texture Height supported" so that I can determine if the users 3D card can truly use high res textures... and anyway some sort of "GetDXCaps(whatever)" style of command would be a real nice and much needed, IMO.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#2]
most games offer a choice so the user can experiment

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thumbs up there! It would take the hassle out of a lot of the support issues.

GW(Posted 2004) [#4]
Can't you create a texture of any size and then check its Width and height to see if it was created properly?

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#5]
most games offer a choice so the user can experiment

This is exactly what I'm doing... but I want to either "grey out" or disable the option for hi-res textures "automatically", transparent to user. That would seem IMO bit more professional than pop-up text saying "please try this and if you think that you are really getting hi-res textures then your card probably has them - proudly coded with Blitz3D" :)

Can't you create a texture of any size and then check its Width and height to see if it was created properly?

Yes, but that was just one example. DX Caps can give you *a lot* of (3D) system information, so general command for getting *any* Caps info I want would be good.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
regarding the texture issue: if you create a 1024x1024 texture and texturewidth shows 512x512 it's likely that the card cannot do 1024x1024.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yup, but... [see above post] and BTW I need to check if the HW supports 2k textures - 1k is needed for the "medium-res/default" textures, and VooDoos are, well, dead anyway, so goodbye to them. :)