Microsoft .FX shader language.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Microsoft .FX shader language.

CodeOrc(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi All,

Does anyone here use the Microsoft .FX shader language in Blitz3D. I have been working with it for a short time now and have no idea how to add the .FX file to my .X file inside of B3D.

Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
I seriously doubt using these '.FX' shaders are possible [to use] in Blitz3d (natively).

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
.FX Shaders came with DirectX 9, I think, certainly 8 at the earliest. Blitz is DirectX 7. Sorry, it's not going to happen.

Robert(Posted 2004) [#4]
HLSL FX shaders are a DirectX 9 feature. You can't get them to work in Blitz3D at the moment.

N(Posted 2004) [#5]
You can't get them to work in Blitz3D at the moment

And I'd advise to never expect them to work in Blitz3d either.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#6]
You can use Cg in blitz3D though, which is even better since it's by nvidia, not microsoft! :)

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#7]
Cg in Blitz3D? Ey it's not April's Fools today!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#8]
Drago wrote some decls to the cg .dlls, so it's posible to call the functions. downside is you need to write a opengl3d engine to use them on ;)

CodeOrc(Posted 2004) [#9]
Thanks for the posts guys...I guess you can't win them all.

On a curious note, why is B3D (forgive me) so far behind in the DX technology?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#10]
Not much interest on the part of the community and developers.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#11]
On a curious note, why is B3D (forgive me) so far behind in the DX technology?

Many reasons.

1) It's developed by one person. He has employees, but tends to do most of the work himself.

2) A lot of people are using Blitz to write shareware games. A lot of shareware publishers won't touch games which require DirectX 9. Not so long ago, one big one wouldn't go beyond 5.

3) The vocal minority could make good use of DX8 and 9 features, but the quiet majority probably couldn't and/or wouldn't want to.

And a bunch more reasons.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#12]
They prefer to suck.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#13]
Yes, that's what I meant.

1) It's developed by people who want Blitz to suck.

2) A lot of people are writing games that they want to suck.

3) The vocal minority want to make good games. The quiet majority wants to make games that suck.

</sarcasm>

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#14]
As far as graphics go, yes, absolutely.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#15]
Halo, so that's explains the state of victory day's shots then huh?

(/sarcasm 2 - the bitch is back)

Seriously though, I agree indirectly. They don't want to suck, but as with any field, you get people who do it, and do it well, and you get people who do it..and well, let's just leave it at that.

A lack of vison is genetic. Look at the pc games market though, the pros are hardly doing it any better bar a couple of next-gen looking titles that have zero gameplay to back it up.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#16]
As far as graphics go, yes, absolutely.

Ok, well I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but in the past Anthony was one of the people who wasn't in favour of a move to DirectX 9.

So presumably you think this is an example of four screenshots from a game whose graphics suck made by an author who wants to make a game with sucky graphics

http://www.blitzbasic.com/gallery/view_pic.php?id=161&gallery=hr&page=1

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#17]
You're just angry that technology has advanced since back when you were programming on the Amiga or whatever it's called, before I was born.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#18]
it is outdated, but whenever someone says it is, they are probably being naysayers to whatever idea is being put forward. I think that we should pester mark into somehow making part of the rendering pipeline accessible through userlibs. If that is impossible (which it probably is), try a different sort of technique that doesn't require the rendering pipeline. Anyway, my point is: Don't be a nay-sayer.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#19]
So just lie to people who are looking for answers?

Rob(Posted 2004) [#20]
The real reason surely lies in the fact that he would have to upgrade the entire DX7 engine to DX9 now and that actually takes quite a bit of work - work that could be served making Blitzmax.

I have always said shaders rock and we need to move on. People who bitch about dx7 being better for shareware obviously have lost touch with reality. The majority of people here wanna make stuff that rocks - regardless.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#21]
You're just angry that technology has advanced since back when you were programming on the Amiga or whatever it's called, before I was born.

lol, I'll take that as a no then.

Rob: I'd be interested to get in touch with reality and see some of these shareware games with DX8/9 features and the sites that deal in them.

CodeOrc(Posted 2004) [#22]
Go easy Indies...

Well on the DX7/DX9 thing. Have anyone of you worked with DarkBasic Pro? Well I have and I left wanting more, thats when I found B3D.

Let me explain DBPro handles .FX shaders and a great deal of other DX9 features, but even their "showcase" demos only run on 1 out of 5 of my computers. And they all have the latest DX9 installed.

So my question was not directed toward DX7, B3D, or shareware sucking or not, I was just curious from a development standpoint. It was mentioned that the entire B3D engine would have to be re-wrote to favor DX9, I was unaware that would have to be done.

@Rob
I agree, that would be time best spent on BlitzMax.

Thanks to all who have helped me see the light, I grow each day as a result :)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#23]
Well on the DX7/DX9 thing. Have anyone of you worked with DarkBasic Pro? Well I have and I left wanting more, thats when I found B3D.

Let me explain DBPro handles .FX shaders and a great deal of other DX9 features, but even their "showcase" demos only run on 1 out of 5 of my computers. And they all have the latest DX9 installed.

Yes I have tried it, and with similar results to you. I was attracted by the prospect of real bumpmapping and blended vertex weights. The original bumpmapping was promptly removed in favour of an .fx shader that doesn't work on either of my PC's and now Blitz has vertex weights. And the other shaders don't work properly on either machine come to think of it.