Blowing up terrain / dynamically tunnelling???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blowing up terrain / dynamically tunnelling???

karmacomposer(Posted 2004) [#1]
How would one destroy the terrain / make tunnels in realtime (for a game idea that I am exploring) - kind of like in Red Faction.

Can it be done?

Mike

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
I get the feeling you would have to create your own terrain system, then recreate the mesh everytime it needs to be modified.

karmacomposer(Posted 2004) [#3]
like morphing the mesh or actually removing polygons and then re-rendering?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yes, but when you tunnel, you would be adding polys.
if you simply move the vertices, then you would stretch the texture which would probably look ugly.
The Markio demo has a terrain modifier example.

You couldn't use a blitz terrain at all though since you would need a tunnel to go under the terrain.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#5]
I think in red faction only special meshes could be deformed like that. I tried shooting other things and it wouldn't punch through. It's a slight of hand level design
thing where the player has to figure out he has to blast
a hole in a wall or something. It wasn't a global feature.

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#6]
Do a search on Stan Melax
He did some cool tunneling stuff.
(Though it seems his homepage is down..., www.melax.com )
You could check this page as well...
http://www.home.zonnet.nl/petervenis/data/links.htm

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#7]
RedFraction was unique because everything could be modified. It's like this. They have a large cube and build the levels inside it. Then when an event happens they carve pieces of the level out. Like explosions of tunneling.... the entire level is solid...

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#8]
from what your saying it sounds like you want CSG in your game. Well, the code archives have something that does just this, however...on my computer it was far too slow to be realtime (but this comp is only a gf2 with a 350mhz p2 :) ).
i think it took around 4 seconds to calculate the new mesh.

karmacomposer(Posted 2004) [#9]
Sweenie:

Thank you for those links. The closest thing to what I want to do is the Moles game (do a search for Stan Melax and you get a website that has a link to a variety of voxel and blob modelling engines.

So I guess what I am trying to do is real-time mesh deformation (like voxels, but smoother - voxels get too blocky). Metaballs is the way to go. Problem is, I want to do this in Blitz since I know Blitz (and not c++ or Delphi) and have tools for Blitz.

The question is, can it be done with Blitz3D? If I was an ace coder and math was of no issue, could it physically be done?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Mike Felker