Terrain and Tokamak?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Terrain and Tokamak?

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey team!

Does anyone have any idea how to get Blitz Terrains to work with Tokamak?

Do I need to make an identical overlaying mesh to fit over the terrain generated by Blitz?

Does Tokamak have a terrain function? Is it going to be implemented?

Many thanks for any help.

IPete2.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#2]
I had this problem so I ignored blitz terrains. There's two problems involved.

1) If you generate a mesh to pass to tokamak thats the same size and density as a blitz terrain, you will need to split it up because of the dx triangle limit.

2) sizing them up so they match

I'd like to have the easy way myself :)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#3]
okay

thanks Rob

IPete2.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hmm. It would be possible. Just pass an extremly highpoly triangle set to tokamak. No need to get dx involved. I'm not sure how much this would slow down tokamak though... perhaps pass a terrain to tokamak that is half as detailed as the map? Tokamak might have an internal tris/vert limit though.. that remains to be seen.

I could try writing it if you like?

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#5]
Bot,

In fact this is what I am trying:

(1) I have taken the heightmap which makes the terrain
(2) Dr. Who has turned that into a mesh for me
(3) I put the mesh into the prog and position it scale and rotate it into the same position of the terrain
(4) pass that mesh to Tokamak

It isnt working brilliantly at the moment and I will have to cut the mesh top off I think. Alternatively I can use the 'Driver' code which Mark gave us in the MAK folder - that works really well on terrain.

However if I use the mesh method I will also be able to use Swifts shadow code too! :)

Which ever way I do it I'll post the result sometime.

IPete2.

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#6]
Probably a stupid question but when you scale, rotate and position your mesh, do you scale, rotate and position the actual mesh or just the entity?
Because if you do just transform the entity, the meshvertices will remain in its original positions.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#7]
ooh, thanks!

I wasn't aware of that - hmm that may be why I seemed to be getting funny results!

I'll check it out. Cheers Sweenie!

IPete2.