Is this a good idea...Collision Method

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Is this a good idea...Collision Method

OrcSlayer(Posted 2004) [#1]
Ok, here's the concept I've come up with (haven't coded it yet, but it's coming up next on my list so I want some input before I start):

Character collision with the environment will be handled by a standard Blitz ellipsoid...nothing unique there. But, projectile collision will be handled like this; The player model will have three special collision point bones. One between the legs at about knee level, one in the middle of the torso region, and one in the middle of the head. Then, to handle the actual collision, I will see if a projectile has come within a certain distance of each of these bones. The way I see it, this will allow me a fair bit more accuracy than the regular way. Especially collision with the head will be VERY accurate. Certainly not like UT headshots (remember those?).

Anyway, does this sound like a reasonable concept? Any suggestions, or forseen problems?

-Orcslayer

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Not only reasonable sounding, this sort of thing is a well-known standard approach. Actually, I get even more accurate doing a hitbox sort of system, colliding with the bones of the model.

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yup, nothing new, infact I'd suggest putting up a bone based collision elipsoid system like jhocking suggests, much more accurate then 3 zones.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2004) [#4]
That sounds good, but the project I'm using it in will have a fairly large number of characters active at any given time...I wonder if it might get too bogged down with the added calculations?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]
EntityDistance commands are very quick, so don't worry to much about using that too much :)

OrcSlayer(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ah, that's good to hear. Oh, and JHocking, are you still available for freelance work? I don't need an artist at this moment, but I will need one soon...