searching and displaying online server

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/searching and displaying online server

Agoeiro(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi Friend
my name is Fabio
I,m using blitz3d a some others engine like 3d gamestudio and darkbasic... for a long time
but I never find a litle multiplayer example to search and display online servers!!!!
like a comercial game (Half-life, Quake 3 Arena...)
:( :( :(

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#2]
Check out Gnet... If your talking about a Quake3 like display server then I haven't seen that done in blitz yet as it would require a dedicated server to handle nothing but server monitoring and if the developer isn't doing it for commerical reasons then it's probably to costly.

But basically, you would setup an echo server that handles game servers loging in and out.. After thats finished you would allow clients to login and capture a list of live servers. It's a fairly simple approach. Basically servers stay connected to your central hub server, once they disconnect they are removed from the master list and all other clients connected would see the server removed from the listing etc.. etc..

Think of it as a chat room server but the user names are actually server names and Ip's ...

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#3]
I haven't seen that done in blitz yet

hehe, maybe you haven't, but it's there ;)

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#4]
Not saying its not possible, quite the opposite. It's a very simple procedure to code in any langauge and Blitz3d/2d is more than capable of handling it..
Just I haven't downloaded a demo or read a post that talked about or used this approach in Blitz. (non Gnet related, as I consider Gnet far to static to consider using commercial).

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#5]
Someone else asked the same question recently- i was looking for that post, but couldnt find it :/

Hope it all works, because I will be needing this eventually (hopefully soon!)