a sudden realisation

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/a sudden realisation

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#1]
I just realized something about rendering 3d objects in blitz 3d. The big problem with rendering large 3d scenes (from what I hear) is that every polygon renders at once as long as the object they belong to is partially seen. I just realized that, using stuff from the explosion demo in the blitz 3d samples (for textures), you could convert a loaded 3d model to a bunch of meshes. These would only be rendered if they are seen by the camera.
It's just another idea, but it could be less bothersome than portals and the other methods of doing this.

puki(Posted 2004) [#2]
> 'every polygon renders at once as long as the object they belong to is partially seen'

I assume that is true, but Blitz has hidden surface removal anyway.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
But blitz will still render the whole thing. If you load a mesh, like a fps level, or a race track. Regardless of if your standing on the edge of the track, looking out into nothingness, and only a small part is hsowing, the whole thing will still get rendered.

Break it up into chunks of 2000 polys or less, i think was the optimal :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
You have do something, Blitz3D has horrible performance on complex scenes. (Not high poly...talking 40,000 polys on a g4-4600..)

I think a few of us need to band together and destroy the world. After which, we oughta think about doing an open source occluder of somesort.(Not real-time, these things have to be pre-calced)...

Anyone feel like handling a UI to such a thing?(b3d only) I'll give the lower level stuff a go...

puki(Posted 2004) [#5]
This may seem a stupid question (but it's coming from me) - does Blitz render certain types of data quicker? What I mean is - is an .x, .3ds or .b3d, etc file faster than something else - how do bsp's compare or does the data type not make any difference?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#6]
3ds should be a lot faster than b3d. 3ds are 'solid' geo, so mark should be able to optimise the b3d engine to compile/pre-load the mesh into agp memory, i.e so he can render whole chunks of geo with one call to the gpu.
But b3d meshes change dynamically so are probably send per vertex. Unless directX lets you change pre-compiled meshes on the fly..but due to the slow performance I get using .b3d files, I doubt that.

puki(Posted 2004) [#7]
Interesting - thanks "Otacon".

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#8]
I remember we thought b3d is faster than 3ds when it first came out. I guess some people even made some benchmark tests.

puki(Posted 2004) [#9]
How do BSP's compare in the speed stakes?

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#10]
What is an occluder? Never heard of it.
But I wish Terrains could be textured with individual texture tiles.
Instead of having to use one Texture for the whole terrain.