scripting engine/BVM?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/scripting engine/BVM?

c32bit(Posted 2004) [#1]
Does anyone know a good site to learn about creating a simple scripting engine for AI? I was thinking of getting BVM based on what I have read around here but tools are no good unless you know what you need to build. :-)

Thanks in advance.

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
http://www.flipcode.com/tutorials/

Under "Scripting Language Tutorial Series". It's a good series.

GW(Posted 2004) [#3]
Download the BVM demo, its pretty easy to use.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#4]
yeah. seriously. scripting engines are super hard to write if you want it to be useful. I'm definitly using it. It'll save weeks of work, and make the scripting engine way better than it would be normally.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hey! I like the FireFox browser. Thanks for the link.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#6]
Very welcome :D That's why I put it in my sigie, as many people probably don't know about it.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#7]
I will probably make my engine open source, which uses BVM for scripting, and has a plugin architecture (if you want a new type of entity in your game, you just have to copy the script file which contains the behaviour of the entity in the game folder).

The engine, called ColdSteel, was created at first to make the games Century and Sneak Behind with it, but we are currently porting ColdSteel to C++, so I will change the name of the Blitz version and release it for the community. If you are interested in purchasing BVM, this would give you an idea on how you can implement it, or even use the engine in your game.

I will change the name of the Blitz version of the engine, as ColdSteel is now the engine i am writing in C++. I think that Lunatic is a good name.