gile[s] & CShop4.1 a good combonation or no?!?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/gile[s] & CShop4.1 a good combonation or no?!?

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi All...

Im' thinking about purchasing gile[s] today to go along with
CShop4.1 which I purchased just a couple days ago!
Do you think the two would make a good combonation together?
I've seen a few screenshots of gile[s] used and all and think it is probably the most advanced lightmapper there is.
However though, I havn't seen to many demos or screenshots
that use both applications together though! I've seen filax's Egyptian level and all.. But I think he used 3DS Max for creating his egyptian level. I did see another egyptian level though that a very talented user on here
created using CShop. But don't know if he used gile[s] for the lightmapping. I don't think so though! Anyways... What do you all think? IPete2 showed me some impressive stuff that he did! Does anybody else have anything to show to add to that for this topic? Or any demos to show? If not... That's ok! Just tell me what you think then!

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#2]
Dr Who.

Me again! The Egyptian stuff (if it was my level with the rising door, flaming torches and dripping water), was lit using CShop.

This is then used as a level for Singularity Engine to show - which uses .csm not b3d or .x .

The reason was that the blending and lighting which could be achieved via Josh's .csm method was - at that time - better due to other blending modes he developed/used.

That is no longer the case now as B3d has the x2 mode and I guess as a result, Josh has re-instigated the .b3d export, along with .x and half life .map format.

There could be a bone of contention here because I light stuff from CShop in CShop.

Everything else I lightmap in Gile[s].

I tried last night to light something done in CShop - in Giles - and it didn't work too well. In fact I have decided to go to Max for that project, and it will be lit in Gile[s].

The latest version of Gile[s]also fixed a curious problem which meant that some items which were rotated in Max, came in rotated incorrectly.

This was stopping me use it for a lot of my stuff. Although that problem has gone, another may still exist with the positioning of those rotated objects, I have still to check this out, so don't quote me or base a decision on this.

IPete2.

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#3]
Excellant one-two punch... I usually make all my buildings and/or map indoor map lvls in cshop4 then lmap in Giles.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ok... So it sounds like gile[s] should be able to do it then!

@IPete2

Hey man! Where can I find a copy of the Singularity Engine at as I tried to do a search here on the Blitz forums and clicked on the links available... But the links to leadwerks.com don't work! Or the zip file was removed from josh's site! Do you know of any other places that might have the singularity engine zip file or....???