blending animations

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/blending animations

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#1]
hi, what i want to do is blend the top half on a guys shoot animation (arms, torso, head) with the bottom part of the guys run animation (legs, pelvis)... so any ideas how to do this?

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#2]
Create a central pivot (the middle), parent the upper / lower parts to this. Set constant values for the offset of the upper and lower body in relation to the pivot, and PositionEntity these in place.

In game simply MoveEntity() the pivot and the upper/lower body will go with it.

Animate depending on whats goin on.

Is that what u mean?

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#3]
dont fully understand that...

basically i have a character, and that character has a run animation, and a shoot animation... but i want him to run and shoot...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#4]
I don't think you can without making your own animation system.

What you can do however to make your life easier is to animate the legs using your animator and don't touch the bones in the top half of the body, then you can find child to all the bones in the top half and move them around at will with the other animations still going strong.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#5]
Another solution is to load your model twice - hide one of the animated models permanently. Animate your visible model normally. When you want to blend an animation animate your hidden model with the desired sequence and then, between the UpdateWorld and Flip commands, set the positions and rotations of the joints in your visible model to those of your hidden model - only the limbs you want of course !

Animation occurs at the UpdateWorld command so you can overide animation by manually positioning/rotating joints between The UpdateWorld command and the Flip command.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yeah a combination of Smiff & Rikman's ideas might be a good option

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#7]
yep i think i have it pretty much sorted now, quite messy to do, but i have the theory down and working so i just hope i can clear it up...

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#8]
Sorry I didn`t reply - my method requires that the upper/lower body be saved as seperate meshes.

You then put them back together in code depending on the player:

upper: shoot
lower: run

upper: walk
lower: walk

upper: shoot
lower: walk

etc etc