AddMesh limit?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/AddMesh limit?

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#1]
I seem to remeber someone saying that if you added entities using AddMesh then there was an upper limit after which the framerate went down. I seem to be getting that.
Can anyone add any insightful info?

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#2]
The point at which the framerate goes down will be different depending on the power of the PC it is running on.

It is a good idea to have an adjustable limit at which culling of meshes occurs, usually a distance limit.

Also try not to put too much into one mesh but split the geometry over several meshes to aid some sort of culling system.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#3]
Actually shambler, it is a DX thing, not PC power related.

Direct X has a point where it is no longer efficient to house your mesh's inside one surface. I go with 1500 triangles to a surface myself. But I don't know what efficient numbers are for fact.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#4]
I see where you are coming from, I remember a paper once that showed the performance levels of using the DirectX DrawPrimitive command on various sizes of vertex buffers i.e. Meshes.

I suppose all you can do is maybe test the target machine to find out which is most efficient. Driver issues will come into it too.

1500 triangles seems a bit low to me but without testing I can't say what is good/bad.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]
I'm pretty sure is close to 2000 tris.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#6]
Well if we average our guesses it's probably right about 1500 - 2000 or 1750 give or take a couple hundred :).

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#7]
Oh bugger! I have a village of over 35000 tris which I then AddMesh'd thinking it would improve performance.
(But then each time I came back to that area using HideMesh/ShowMesh it slowed down.)
I guess I'd better just AddMesh all the components of each house etc.
Seems from what you say that it's only useful if you're manually building an entity from tris.
So has anyone who has been working on a particle system any experience of this?