Clouds

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Clouds

asdfasdf(Posted 2004) [#1]
How do I make little puffy clouds? Like in code you could make random sized ones. I'm new. Other than meshs making meshes. I mean like 3-D ones.

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
Could you elaborate?

Clouds like in a sky plane, sky sphere, or sky box, for example?

Clouds as in little puffy objects that float around above the player?

sswift(Posted 2004) [#3]
Eat at Taco Bell.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#4]
You could have saved yourself some time with these questions and just asked "How do you make games?"

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#5]
@sswift took me a second but gave me laugh dude... 10x..

ckob(Posted 2004) [#6]
although the question isnt detailed we really shouldnt be like this there is no call for it.

blitz programmer: what exactly do you mean because there are several ways to go about this

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#7]
although the question isnt detailed we really shouldnt be like this there is no call for it.

I disagree. Even when I was a noob, I didn't ask such ridiculously vague questions.

For some reason, it seems that a lot of newcomers to programming do that though. I wonder if that's how they get through life as well...

Blitz Programer, I am not jumping on your case, but in the future try to be more specific with your questions. Although many people are kind enough to answer specific ones, most don't have enough time to write a novel on every subject that comes up.

BTW, Programer is spelled Programmer. (Unless of course, you were going for a misspelling)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#8]
Blitz progrtammer,

two very easy way to make sky and clouds as follows:

Sky:

Graphics3D 1024,768,32
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

; create a camera to view our sky with, leave it at its default position for now
camera = CreateCamera()
CameraRange camera,1,20000

; first create a plane which will be an infinite flat plane for your whole sky
Global sky = CreatePlane()

AmbientLight 255,255,255
; now load a nice looking sky texture - available from many places on web
Global skytexture = LoadTexture("CLOUD2.JPG") ; "the_name_of_your_sky_texture.bmp",3)

; now texture the sky plane entity with this texture so it looks like a lareg sky
; but remember the texture needs to be scaled to look right and
; unless you are above the sky plane - the texture will be facing up so
; from a camera below you will not see it unless you rotate it 180 degrees
EntityTexture sky,skytexture
ScaleTexture skytexture,10000,10000
PositionEntity sky,0,200,0

RotateEntity sky,180,0,0
;now make the sky a little see through
;EntityAlpha sky,0.5

; set a variable so you can rotate the texture to get some movement up there
; - the # makes it floating point
Global xrotate# = 0

While Not KeyDown(1)

xrotate=xrotate+0.02
RotateTexture skytexture,xrotate

UpdateWorld
RenderWorld

Flip

Wend
End

You need to make the sky texture something which will be seamless where the texture repeats, use a photoshop filter such as offset to create this.

Next you could add some scudding sprites or a second level using another moving plane, move it more slowly and make the first plane see through by adjusting the entityalpha line.

Hope this is of some use.

IPete2.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#9]
"BTW, Programer is spelled Programmer. (Unless of course, you were going for a misspelling)"

You're the second person this month to correct someone on these forums about how they spell programmer... And the second this month to look like an idiot as a result. :-)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=programmer

They're both valid spellings! :-)

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#10]
I think there asking for a formula to create fractal clouds, using random values.
I would suggest checking out a fractal web site for different formulas and pick which one works best for you.
Just do a search in Google for "Fractal Clouds" and you could spend all day looking at examples.
This approach can be used for landscapes and height maps too.
Here is one website:
http://www.alancsmith.co.uk/filters/fc.html

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2004) [#11]
I think what BP is really asking for is the holy grail of cloud effects. 3 dimensional clouds which appear to have no substance - more like a localised fogging effect. This is actually something which I myself would be interested in if anyone knows a good method. Trouble is, in my case I'd also need to have it flexible enough to add wind...

And guys, seriously, chill for a bit! The question wasn't really that vague - the guy asked for clouds! There arent really that many ways of getting the effect, and no need for the noob bashing.

puki(Posted 2004) [#12]
"Blitz Programer" the clouds you want are possible, but I've never seen them in Blitz - 'FarCry', (just released) was based on 'X-isle' which kind of did the 'puffy' effect nicely (but I think that was purely lighting and colouring - not actually a 3D 'puffy' cloud.

You can play around with cloud textures and various heightmaps to get varying degrees of effectiveness.

Have a look at the following - if you play around with it (search your hard-drive for cloud textures and heightmaps), you can get some impressive results - whispy sunny day clouds, big thick storm clouds - you have to experiment though.

; cloud stuff by puki 
; Locate xfigher in your 3D samples - I knocked this up quick
; this uses the textures in xfighter (as it is convenient)
; remember when changing the textures, you may have to re-scale them
; also you may want to change the height of the clounds, meaning re-scalling them too
; also you may have to change the speed of the clouds - I always move the upper ones more slowly
; certain combinations can look very effective
; experimenting can pay dividends

Graphics3D 800,600,32,1; change this to what you want - I find 32bit (on my set-up) is visually much better
player=CreatePivot()
camera=CreateCamera(player)
CameraClsColor camera,50,50,200; colour the sky
CameraRange camera,1,30000

AmbientLight 200,200,200
light_sun = CreateLight(1)
LightColor light_sun,200,200,100
RotateEntity light_sun,0,-90,0

floor1=CreatePlane()
EntityColor floor1,0,150,0
PositionEntity floor1,0,-2.3,0 
EntityType floor1,2

; find Xfighter in your Samples directory and use the textures in there
sky=CreatePlane()
cloud=LoadTexture("cloud_2.bmp",2)
ScaleTexture cloud,5000,5000
PositionEntity sky,0,800,0
TurnEntity sky,0,0,180
EntityTexture sky,cloud

sky2=CreatePlane()
cloud2=LoadTexture("hmap_1024.bmp",2); this is actually a heightmap
ScaleTexture cloud2,10000,10000
PositionEntity sky2,0,1000,0
TurnEntity sky2,0,0,180
EntityTexture sky2,cloud2

While Not KeyHit(1)

mx#=-.25*MouseXSpeed()
 my#=.25*MouseYSpeed()
 MoveMouse GraphicsWidth()/2,GraphicsHeight()/2

TurnEntity player,0,mx#,0,1
 TurnEntity camera,my#,0,0,0

cl#=cl-.0003; this is the speed of the lower cloud level
PositionTexture cloud,cl,cl
cl2#=cl2-.00002; this is the speed of the upper cloud level
PositionTexture cloud2,cl2,cl2

UpdateWorld
RenderWorld
Flip 

Wend
End

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#13]
You're the second person this month to correct someone on these forums about how they spell programmer... And the second this month to look like an idiot as a result. :-)

dictionary.reference.com/search?q=programmer

They're both valid spellings! :-)
I was taught that words with 'short' vowel sounds doubled the last letter when adding suffixes.

Batter
Spamming
Fattest
Beginning
Trapped
Programmed

Not my fault someone had to go and make an exception just because they couldn't follow the rules...

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#14]
Hmmmmmm...

It seems to me that some people on these forums like to
give others on these forums a "Hard Time" instead of actually helping them! If you can't help them with their
question, Then why say anything to them at all? And also...
Not everyone thinks & do's the same! So the question put forth from him may have been a reasonable question from his point of view! Why not try and help him or others on here instead of being sarcastic towards them and just pissing them off!!! Last time I checked, These forums are here to be of help to anyone that may need them! So if someone is a little bit unexperienced than you are, Try and over look it and try to be of some help if you possibly can! This isn't meant to piss anyone off here... But I believe that we should try and be of help towards others and not be putting them down because they may know less than you do!

Just my opinion though!

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#15]
Try and over look it and try to be of some help if you possibly can!
Which is why I wrote:
Blitz Programer, I am not jumping on your case, but in the future try to be more specific with your questions. Although many people are kind enough to answer specific ones, most don't have enough time to write a novel on every subject that comes up.
so that next time he may try to be more specific so that we may help him better...

Like Jerry McGuire said "Help me, help you."

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#16]

Hmmmmmm...

It seems to me that some people on these forums like to
give others on these forums a "Hard Time" instead of actually helping them! If you can't help them with their
question, Then why say anything to them at all? And also...
Not everyone thinks & do's the same! So the question put forth from him may have been a reasonable question from his point of view! Why not try and help him or others on here instead of being sarcastic towards them and just pissing them off!!! Last time I checked, These forums are here to be of help to anyone that may need them! So if someone is a little bit unexperienced than you are, Try and over look it and try to be of some help if you possibly can! This isn't meant to piss anyone off here... But I believe that we should try and be of help towards others and not be putting them down because they may know less than you do!

I agree! When I first started (and actually, still do!) using Blitz, I was asking some really simple questions, and Im sure that those who answered were thinking 'Oh my god...where is this guy from...sheesh!' but I always received helpful, informative, positive replies. Now, though, why does it seem too many people are more worried about their comparative penis size or something...

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#17]
@WolRon

Which is why I wrote:

ckob Wrote:

Then you Wrote this:

I disagree. Even when I was a noob, I didn't ask such ridiculously vague questions.

For some reason, it seems that a lot of newcomers to programming do that though. I wonder if that's how they get through life as well...

What kind of response is that?!? It sure didn't seem like
a very helpful one if you ask me or others on here dude!
The response sounds pretty sarcastic to me! But then again.. This isn't the first time i've read such a post from you! I've read sevral of your post scattered throughout these forums in just such a manner as this one too! It's the way you come off on other people man!! It's not called for here!! There is a better way of approching
someone without coming off in this kind of manner which does nothing more than straight piss other people off because
they think that you are being sarcastic and very unhelpful!
And actually!!! You are!

I hate to tell you this man, But someone here needs to! Im' sure you're very experienced at what you do, And im' sure you have the know-how to help other people. So instead of wasting your time & others here being ridiculously offending towards others... Why don't you just ignore the
way the question was presented and focus on helping them then?!? This way time is saved on both your's & the other person requesting the help. Im' sure at one time when you was a new comer and such, That you wouldn't of appreciated such sarcastic remarks in that way either!

I can relay to this guy in a way because there was a topic
I posted a long time ago and still remember when you commented on such a subject and was sarcastic towards me even then! So then again... This isn't surprising to me at all due to past events & posts! I rest my case!!!!!

@Malice

I agree! When I first started (and actually, still do!) using Blitz, I was asking some really simple questions, and Im sure that those who answered were thinking 'Oh my god...where is this guy from...sheesh!' but I always received helpful, informative, positive replies. Now, though, why does it seem too many people are more worried about their comparative penis size or something...

Oh my!!!! That's one way of putting things there Malice!!!
But my answer to your question would be Im' not sure?!?

Anyways though.... Nice comment!! Gave me a few laughs!!!
You've always been a nice person on helping someone because
i've noticed you're posts in the forums too, And you are always kind enough to help someone without saying such things like the other guy above does quite often!

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#18]
Blitz Programer, it appears that you have altered your original question (several times I think). Although you have the capability to edit your posts, doing so as you did (actually changing the question) is a bad idea. Most people don't go back and re-read the entire thread each time. If you meant to rephrase your question then you should really type another post, so that those who have been following your thread are more likely to see it.

If I am wrong then I apologize for making that assumption. I am only trying to help <--