improved lighting

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/improved lighting

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#1]
I just realised if I strip away my lightmaps and set the blend of my actual level textures to multiply 2, then I get really bright areas in my level. I am seriously thinking of not using lightmaps now and use the vertex colouring combinded with lights. it looks really rather nice liie proper dynamic lighting
I was assuming that the new blend mode was just useful for lightmaps doh.
its great that i got puddings exporter cause its just handy to set the texture flags in max.
only thing missing with this is character shadows.
I could possibly get a blobby shadow by setting a light to -255,-255,-255 and parenting it to the players feet.

might look alright, but will knock the framerate right down

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
Sounds good, can you post a screenie?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#3]
I will do ti tonight, soon as I have tweaked the lighting. I am quite excited about this, it means the DX lights become useful at last. it really does like like proper lighting.gives great atmosphere.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#4]
yeah here is a basic example. ambient light is 0.
vertex colouring is about a mid grey on the mesh and all the textures are set as muliply2
I have one pointlight in the scene set to about 200,200,200
there are no lightmaps in the scene
perhaps this should be in user creations, but I thought it was ok to discuss it here.
only thing that is msising now is the shadows, but I can fake them ok with vertex colouring( not character shadows though)
II am sure some one is working on an amazing lighting system as we speak, but this is a small step forward for me anyway, lightmaps don't do it for me