Do you need a charactor model/moldels ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Do you need a charactor model/moldels ?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#1]
This is a repost. I don't think I worded the last post very well, not many people responded. Anyway, I'm in the process of improving my skills of creating real-time content. I am a profession 3d artist, I just haven't had much experience making assets for games, and I'll like to get better at it. I'm considering building some charactors that I will give away for free. They will be in B3D format and will have animation. Actually I'll probably have my friend Tom Wright do the animation, he's much better at charactor animation then me. So let me know if you guys have any charactor ideas, and please let me know what animations you think need to come with them. Right off the top of my head I'm thinking generic firstperson shooter stuff, but if you guys have some better ideas, please make suggestion. I'm open to anything at this point.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#2]
A army dude. With anims like running, walking, crouching, crouch walking, jumping etc. And prefably in 3ds format, as you may or may not know, b3d format has very poor collision support(Linepicks etc don't work.Making it very unsable for a fps that offers any sort of decent aim system)

Also, would the model be usable in non-commercial/commerical apps/games without restrictions (Besides full credit obviously)?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#3]
Non-commercial use. I don't use Max so the 3ds file format is not an option. I'm suprized, I haven't really had a problem with the B3D format.

TroM(Posted 2004) [#4]
I would like some medieval people, some women with dresses, a blacksmith, a barman, priest, merchant etc...
With only basic animations (still, walk and run)

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#5]
Project PLASMA FPS 2004

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#6]
And prefably in 3ds format, as you may or may not know, b3d format has very poor collision support(Linepicks etc don't work.Making it very unsable for a fps that offers any sort of decent aim system)

That means the animation would have to be hierarcbical since 3ds doesn't support any kind of skeletal animation.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
yeah, b3d format is great for characters .

Hmm what do you mean 'line picks etc don't work' thats a very sweeping statement.

MadMunky(Posted 2004) [#8]
Make me some monsters :) for Dungeon Maker :p

www.dungeon-maker.com

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#9]
Ruz, blitz3D format is good visually. But the actual verts are not updated to take into account animation. So linepicks are performed against frame 0, never the visual/current frame.

So while this is fine if you're happy using spheres, it's not so fine if you need more accuracy as you have none. Linepicks just don't match up at all. And linepicks are..vital to any 3d project in blitz imo.

I wouldn't say don't use b3d, we're using it, as we use proxy collision meshes and other techniques, but obviously that's not an option for any one using a free model unless craig himself does it or they are skilled in 3D.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#10]
Instead of doing picking against the mesh directly, use a hitboxes sort of system to do collision detection/picking of bones. This will be pretty accurate to the model shape even while animating, plus you get the added advantage of knowing which part of the body was picked.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#11]
so basically you want to be able to hit certain parts of a character, like stomach or shoulder.
as jhocking was saying thats fairly straightforward to access the bones using find child or whatever.

Perhaps you meant something different.

I was planning on letting my,character kick another in the shins( perhaps even his testicles) using this method.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yes, but you need to skin the mesh and animate along with it in code.
Simply adding boxes doesn't work. As they'll be spots where there are no collision response due to the boxes not spanning the mesh.

And to create big enough boxes doesn't work either, as you then have collision spots outside of the visual mesh.

I'm not saying it's impossible, anyway, just that's it's not *that* easy.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#13]
I am developing an MMORPG. My team and I would be very interested in a human male and female base model in which players can customize in-game by altering limb scale, texture, and color. We also intend to allow players to outfit the models with various accessories (hair pieces, clothing, armor, etc) attached to limbs/bones as well.

I suspect such models would use independent limbs meshes attached to a bone set for animation. We would attempt to create these meshes ourselves, however, theres a problem. We desire the models to have smooth and even joints where they meet. It would take an artist to craft porportional human physique and smooth out the joints.

Trofanson(Posted 2004) [#14]
I second Frank's post...a nicely done male/female base model would be terrific. Thanks!

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#15]

And to create big enough boxes doesn't work either, as you then have collision spots outside of the visual mesh.

Eh, I've noticed in several fps games that you can sometimes shoot them without actually aiming at them, for instance, aiming just above the shoulder is a hit. My point is the player isn't gonna notice inaccuracies like this, and even if they do, oh well. Whether or not your player pick system is completly accurate sin't gonna affect gameplay much unless you are going for an ultra-realistic-needs-an-insane-system-kinda-game.

TroM(Posted 2004) [#16]
When you develop a game you see all those things, when you play a game without a developper mind you dont.

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#17]
What would be really great is to have a simple Man and Woman with animations doing the main things
Like walking, running, bending down to pick something up, jumping, and climbing.
Then we can just resize and texture the images to get anything we want.
I have looked and looked for a simple Man and Woman figure without something in their hands, or strange cloths on.
Most figures I find always have something in there hand, or something else to distort them.

Also we could load them into an editor and change a few things to get different looking people.
We just need a basic figure to start with.
And the only thing on them might be pants for the man and a dress for the woman. That would be awsome!

And if you are really motivated, maybe you could make us a few body shapes like children and maybe a fat Man and Woman.
If you design the hair as long we can texture them to any length and colour.