Looking for better FOG and LIGHTing

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Looking for better FOG and LIGHTing

FBEpyon(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey im looking for a beter fog engine than what is givin to you in BLitz, Is there a way to use sprites or images to make a fog like partical effect?

Also im trying to make a Day/Night engine for my game, but when I use Ambent lighting the sprite used for the grass blades stay light.. Is there a way to get around this?

:EDIT:

One other thing im looking for is a good way to make a never ending skybox..

The last thing is what would you recommend to make the world in? 3DMax, Milkshape or design a level editor?

big10p(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think there's a day/night sim thing in the b3d samples folder somewhere. As for fog, try this:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=31460#337188

FBEpyon(Posted 2004) [#3]
thats not quite the fog im looking for thats for horror games not for what I need.. Im looking for a different fog but thanks anyways

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yes, in the first ever alpha of sota I used a custom fog system that looked...amazing.

Here's what you do.

Using the camera as a centre point, spanning 360 degrees, spawn huge sandy/foggy rects, that fade in and our at random position. The result is a lovely wind-swept fog effect.

Use single surface though, otherwise you'll nuke the frame-rate.

FBEpyon(Posted 2004) [#5]
thanks, but that made no sense :P

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#6]
Use single surface though, otherwise you'll nuke the frame-rate.

*Otherwise*?!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#7]
Your point Michelle?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#8]
F,

Consider the camera as the origin of the fx. And spawn RECTS(I.e particles) around it they are textured with foggy sand. You additive blending, and spawn and fade them(Using vertex colors)
you'll probably have to enforce alpha+Vertex colors so you can use additive blending too.

It works, trust me.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#9]
Your point Michelle?

My point is that the incredible speed loss versus the visual gains aren't worth it. That amount of blending would bring a GeForce 4 to its knees easily.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#10]
I wouldn't say it would bring it to it's knees.
Our particle system uses additive blending, and spawns masses of big(As in screen space) particles when explosions occur etc with no noticable fps drag.

You just have to optimize it to find the right balence.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#11]
Got a screenshot of this in action?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#12]

Not really noticable in this shot..

Someone here may have the first alpha, released it over at bc that had the fx, but I lost it ages ago.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#13]
for the unending skybox, I suggest just having it move with the player.
Nice screen Otacon.

FBEpyon(Posted 2004) [#14]
cool thanks, I will try this and post a screen of my out come :P

I think I might have come up with another way of doing this also, but cutting the top of the box and/or sphere so that it doesn't cover the sky..

also for the sprites I still haven't come up with a good way to make the sprites look dark along with the models and terrain when its night time..