Graphics3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Graphics3D

asdfasdf(Posted 2004) [#1]
Is there any way to set the graphics as the highest resolution possible?

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#2]
You must check which modes are available and then select the highest one.

Remember that this may mean your program runs incredibly slowly on the user's Pc though.

Better to select an average mode and give the user the choice of selecting higher or lower.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#3]
* Hint use

Global gModes3D=CountGfxModes3D()

then cycle through all the modes in a loop until you find the highest resolution one.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#4]
Do NOT do so, my screen cannot handle the highest resolution that my graphics card can generate. So for me, it would completely ruin the game.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#5]
I have problems if I run Blitz at a higher res than my desktop is currently set to. What happens, is the window appears misplaced on screen and I cannot drag it, yet the graphics displayed are in what would be the correct location if the window was central (that make sense?)

I would take Shambler's advice here, and allow a choice.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#6]
I have problems if I run Blitz at a higher res than my desktop is currently set to. What happens, is the window appears misplaced on screen and I cannot drag it
But that only happens when running in a window, surely?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
Do NOT do so, my screen cannot handle the highest resolution that my graphics card can generate. So for me, it would completely ruin the game.

Mine also. That'd be the surest way to ensure your game went right into my recycling bin. You might even get a few angry emails from people with broken monitors.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#8]
I always have debugmode on, so when Ive used FullScreen, I haven't seen the results - I presume it would work okay, but haven't actually tried it.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#9]
Highest rezz possible? That would be 2048x1536 then for me. Would I like to play using that? Lemme think nanosecond here - err, NO.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#10]
The first time my Sare Engine runs it does this.

Enumerate all modes that are 4/3 ratio then tries to find the following modes...

1) 800*600
if that is not supported then tries
2) 640*480
3) 1024*768

if none of these are supported then it searches for a mode lower than 640*480 and failing that informs the user that their PC sux ^^

Rob(Posted 2004) [#11]
I merely run at 640,480 like every other game in existance and let the user choose. Which all users are used to doing by now :)

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#12]

1) 800*600
2) 640*480
3) 1024*768

Most of the things I do offer the choice of these 3 res's. Really, that should be enough for compatibility. 1600x1200 show-offs can go jump :) and if someone's graphics really do struggle with the above...it's time to evolve ;)

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#13]

Most of the things I do offer the choice of these 3 res's. Really, that should be enough for compatibility. 1600x1200 show-offs can go jump :)

But if they can run it at an insane resolution then you should let them...if only to boost their self esteem ;)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#14]
Exactly. If someone's computer can handle 1920x1200, screw it. If your game engine can handle it (UI wise and such), let them go there. What skin is it off your nose?

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#15]
Most of the things I do offer the choice of these 3 res's. Really, that should be enough for compatibility. 1600x1200 show-offs can go jump :) and if someone's graphics really do struggle with the above...it's time to evolve ;)

Hey hey, I like playing most of my games in 1280x960, don't forget me!!!!!! =]

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#16]
Just make sure whatever you do, adjust whatever's onscreen to be viewable at any rez.
(I play many games, and from what I've seen, EVERYTHINGS TOO FREAKIN SMALL TO READ AT 1600x1200!!!)

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#17]
Showoff. You deserve that ;]

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#18]
All under 1600*1200 looks crap... :9

Andy UK(Posted 2004) [#19]
also when u change rez your monitor changez frequency which might offcenter the picture, just adjust your monitor once and it should fix it

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#20]
It's true what Genexi2 says, just because you run at a higher resolution doesn't mean you have to use those tiny fonts that noone can read =)

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#21]

Just make sure whatever you do, adjust whatever's onscreen to be viewable at any rez.
(I play many games, and from what I've seen, EVERYTHINGS TOO FREAKIN SMALL TO READ AT 1600x1200!!!)

Yeah - I'm writing a game at the moment full of things like:

ScaleImage Whatever,Gwscale#,Ghscale#

Txtfnt=LoadFont("Font.TTF",gwidth/30)

Text GWidth/3,GHeight/20,"TEXT",1,0

So it's all scaled according to GraphicsWidth() and GraphicsHeight()