MMOrpg Creation Engine

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/MMOrpg Creation Engine

ckob(Posted 2004) [#1]
well it's been awhile since we first released the engine on www.mmorpgce.com but we've been up and running for awhile now and our community has grown very large. Members post daily and are constently trying to improve the engine in their own ways, sharing code and what not. If you haven't giving the engine a look please come over and check out the webpage for info. If you have any questions feel free to email me I will be more then willing to answer any of them.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#2]

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#3]
but how many people can be online at the same time REALLY? That's the kicker. EQ can have about 20 people in the same close quarters before things get choppier than hell. Admittedly the EQ engine SUCKS in that regard. Try going to the bazaar and running around. You'll get about 1/2 fps at times (and that's on my 1.5g of mem, Athlon64, 9800XT 256mb Radeon) unless you look down at the floor and run around bouncing your head off of people, places and other nouns.

How does it handle textures and character/npc meshes? EQ loads EVERYTHING from a single "zone" into the game at the time you enter the zone. Very very bad practice if you ask me. That's why their recommended system specs are so outrageously high.

Just curious... Sounds like you have something interesting there, but I'm just wondering how scalable it is.

Kanati

[Edit] Just took a look at the site and it looks decent, but in your required specs you need to add bandwidth requirements too. Obviously someone on a 56k modem isn't going to host much. Battlefield 1942 bandwidth requirements for their dedicated servers are listed (I think to get a full 64 people online in that game you are recommended to have an OC3 for instance).

ckob(Posted 2004) [#4]
well if you check out the info link on the main page you will see this
- Very low bandwidth requirements - 2/kb per player

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#5]
I just bought it, and im really impressed by it and the community for the engine. While im still a while from getting anything up and running it looks like this will be a great tool.

RexRhino(Posted 2004) [#6]
I looked at it... the only problem I could see with it was that it is a hard-coded fantasy engine.

If you want to do sci-fi, or modern day, I don't think you could without major workarounds.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#7]
not exactly, rexrhino its more or less frameworks for an MMO there are members making modern day shooters all you need to change is the media(graphics)

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#8]
yeh! I am going to get this!

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#9]
good way for an artist to pop out a great looking game without alot of coding.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#10]
This really sounds good and I was very impressed by the Another Life demo.

I would love to see some documentation on the code itself - perhaps a bit of sample source code as well - just to get a flavour of its style - if the code is well organised, modular and clearly commented then it makes it much easier to modify.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#11]
I wrote it, so I can assure you that it is very organised and well commented. Here's a brief example:

; Gives magic damage to a given enemy
Function MagicDamageEnemy(N.Enemy, D, DType)
  If N\Dead = False
    ; Message to local player
    If SquelchMode = False AddMessage "  -- " + D + " " + DamageName$(DType)  + " damage to " + N\E\Name$, F_Magenta
    ; 200% damage if using enemy weakness damage type
    If N\E\Weakness = DType Then D = D * 2
    ; Send message to server
    Pa$ = BP_IntToStr$(N\ID, 2) + BP_IntToStr$(D, 2) + BP_IntToStr$(99, 1)
    BP_UDPMessage(1, P_EnemyDamaged, Pa$)
    Pa$ = "E" + BP_IntToStr$(N\ID, 2) + BP_IntToStr$(DType, 1)
    BP_UDPMessage(1, P_DamageParticles, Pa$)
    ; Particle effects
    MagicParticles(N\EN, DType)
  EndIf
End Function

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#12]
EDIT.

Are camera view hard coded? Or can you easily set a game camera as top down(birds eye) without code modifications ?

ckob(Posted 2004) [#13]
the orginal game another life which the engine was built for was suppose to be a top view so thats already in their you just need to uncomment a few lines or add some some small improvements. really simple

ckob(Posted 2004) [#14]
if your intrested in the engine please feel free to send me an email I will be more then happy to answer any questions, OH and the demo for the engine Another Life should be back up shortly just trying to get a replacement server.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#15]
well if you check out the info link on the main page you will see this
- Very low bandwidth requirements - 2/kb per player

I saw that. And that can't be "static" at 2k per person. The more people you get in the same area the more info is going to need to be passed down to the player. 2k per second when they are the only person in the area is ok. How about 100? That's what I mean by scalability. Has it been tested with a lot of people on at once?

Kanati

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#16]
Kanati, that's with maybe 5-10 other players. Obviously it will increase if you have 100 others (but not outrageously). And with only 1 player there, it's pretty much zero.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#17]
Does the server save client data on the server computer or does it allow the client to have access to the save data ?

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#18]
Ive purchased the engine and im very much impressed with it... Its easy to use and understand.. The code is pretty clean and concise to make expanding it very easy.. one of its weakpoints may be its lack of documentation,but this is being added to all the time both by its creators and users. But anyone who has a basic level of programming in blitz3D will be able to modify it without any trouble.

If youve wanted to create that MMO game (not limited to RPG) you have dreamed of but saw it as too big a feat id suggest you give this a serious look at.. it provides a great platform to build upon.

Even if you cant code that well it works out of the box(ive personally made a build that requires no blitz modification at all that you can download from the members section)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#19]
RifRaf: at it's current build it will not save client data to the server however one of the members made a very good tutorial on how to make the server save characters as well as use php for storing accounts.
Tainted Reality: Thanks for your kind words

as he said the documentation isn't as good as it could be but we are always trying to make it better and the community members rock , always coming up with something new.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#20]
OK i dont like the client side saving.. i hope i can get the work around to work for me. Payment sent. :)

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#21]

Requirements:
Blitz3d
Blitzplus (server is written in Blitzplus but can easily be converted to Blitz3d)

So...is B+ a 'requirement' or not?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#22]
No, i asked the same ? before I purchased, the B+ code is being rewritten in B3D, and the server wich i think was B+ only, is now B3D as well.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#23]
yes there are two versions of the server now ones Blitzplus and the other is Blitz3d we are in the process of rewritting the quest and npc editor to Blitz3d but until then our users can use the compiled binaries to edit quest and npc's

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#24]
Well, I bought it, downloaded it about 4 hours ago, and so far, i havent been able to get it working :). Only good thing to say right at this point as that it looks like clean code, and the scripting looks cool. But havent seen anything in action. or been able to tweak with anything

ckob(Posted 2004) [#25]
RifRaf: you've got to download the update :P for anyone that wants to try the engine first goto www.mmorpgce.com/AnotherLife and download the beta

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#26]
Ckob,

Got it all working. havent messed with it tooo much yet. Good purchase though in my opinion.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#27]
Not sure I'd hold up Another Life as something to test with...

US Mirror was down to download it...

And now it's "stuck" at 502 files to check while updating. It gets down to 502 files and then resets. I let it cycle about 30 times to see if it was something it would correct, but it won't update so I can't see the engine. :/

ckob(Posted 2004) [#28]
yeah thats the same error a couple people have been reporting, please remember that Another Life is only in it's beta stages we still have some kinks to work out but the engine has alot more features and improvements then what AnotherLife does atm

ckob(Posted 2004) [#29]
we've now had one of our members write a complete tutorial on adding server sided character saving using PHP, awesome tutorial the community pretty much runs itself which is what I hoped for.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#30]
I just wanna evaluate to see if I wanna buy... dagnabbit!!! :)

Estimate on a fix for the AL update bug so I can take a look?

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#31]
The problem is that I've lost track of older versions since I'm writing the new one now, and I am also having webspace problems. I'll be looking into it this evening.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#32]
Kanati, I have bought it.. you can email me if you like for an honest opinion of its value to potential users.

Bigchance25@...

ckob(Posted 2004) [#33]
maybe one of our members will make something soon enough for people t get a real glimpse at the engine but feel free to email myself or one of the members(if they allow you to) about the engine so far they all seem pretty happy with it

ckob(Posted 2004) [#34]
just want to bring this to attention , this game is being created using the engine
http://vampyre-mmorpg.biz/

check out the forums for screenshots

sequoia(Posted 2004) [#35]
I am interested in this engine but are pretty troubled about the fact that the player data is saved on the client side and not on the server. This is pretty much an invitation to all cheaters and a single user with bad intensions could screw everything up.I talked to RifRaf today and he said he is working on a code to save playerdata on the server right now. You can't really run an MMorpg without saving all important data on the server.
So this is something that should be solved asap. Other than that I think the engine has great potential and I will probably buy it and possibly code playerdata saving on the server side myself (eventhough my coding style is a little dated).
I tried to download and play the Anotherlife demo, which got
to 502 and then stopped (kept repeating the same thing over and over ). I bet if this would be fixed and the demo could be played, alot more people would actually buy the source code. (doesn't make a good impression if you wanna sell a source code and the demo doesn't work)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#36]
well the engine was only ever meant to be a base for the owners to build up on and thats why server sided character saving wasn't added however a member of the mmorpgce community made a really good tutorial on server sided character saving using blitz and php and implamented it with the engine. We are currently fixing the demo should be up soon.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#37]
For those of you troubled by client side saves. worry no more. I have completed a plugin that will transform the engine to save server side. without using php or mysql. You will need nothing more than the additional source code I have made. This plugin will also allow for client/player tracking You can create and edit new accounts for clients, keeping track of those who have paid, those who are past due, clients contact information, you can autosupsend past due accoutns as well.. Pretty much all automated, you just input each clients account info. If you wanted to charge access to your game you could easily take payments any way you like paypal and such. the client tracker will let you input when a person has paid, and for how many days they have paid for

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#38]
Blimey RifRaf, somebody's been hard at work :)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#39]
this is what the community does over at mmorpgce they improve on the engine and post the code for others to use...love it

JJ Sonick(Posted 2004) [#40]
Well, I wanted to try out Another World as well, but I'm experiencing the update bug, too. Please let us know when this is fixed so we can try it out. I'm very curious.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#41]
Also as part of the community Ive designed and currently added a ton of information for
- MMORPGCE
- BB3D
- B+
- Game Design
- Tutorials
- Products
- Textures (free)
- Models (free)
- Sound and Music
- Code and Scripts
- 3rd party Tools
- Downloads section
- Links to alot of information out there

Its all organized and fairly easy to navigate around, it is only for MMORPGCE customers, but I can see it becoming one of the largest sources of game creation information for shareware/freeware developers.

A couple of us have designed free tools for the community to use to, not all are for MMORPG games, but for all games, design, and the like.

ckob and Rottbott are working hard on updating the documentation, Rifraf has been working like a machine and added some amazing mods, xmlspy has a great map editor coming.

Some of us are getting modelers to do a model pack (for money) that the community can pay for (will be fairly inexpensive), and already some free models have been added.

Hope to see more people in the community try out this great engine.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#42]

ckob(Posted 2004) [#43]
just thought I'd point out the awesome Knowledge base that Fale has been putting togethor
http://www.brianedey.com/MMORPG%5FKB/