What's the differences between BlitzUI & FUI ???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What's the differences between BlitzUI & FUI ???

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi All...

Im' just wondering how you go about detecting a window
in your code using BlitzUI? I need this information to be
able to tell my editor which window its working with when
editing the objects on the orthographic views...

Many thanks in advance guys!

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#2]
I'd expect since you pay for FUI that it works better, BlitzUI is nice for very simple interfaces but its very unstable and gets confused easily.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#3]

BlitzUI is nice for very simple interfaces but its very unstable and gets confused easily.

I find BlitzUI is very stable and never gets 'confused'. Not sure what you mean by confused ??
As for 'simple interfaces' - well that's purely down to the skill of the programmer !
BlitzUI is a 2d GUI - the interface is drawn in 2d using 2d commands over 3d whereas F-UI is a pure 3d GUI - there are no 2d drawing commands and so is much faster.

p.s Your app doesn't need to know exactly which window its working with it just needs to know what gadget or menu option has been triggered via the events. It would also be fairly easy to keep track of what windows are open by having a boolean variable that is set to true when a window is opened and then set to false when it is closed but I can't think of many scenarios where this would be necessary.
The important thing your app needs to know is what Gadget has been clicked rather than the window itself.

p.p.s.
I see you repackaged the same question with a different title ! I wouldn't have answered your previous post due to its demanding and patronising "Oh so nobody knows !" comments. I think that you probably understand now that that type of post generally gets NO response at all and only serves to annoy people who would have probably helped if you'd had a bit of patience. This is not a help desk but a forum - you cannot demand an answer.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#4]
@Smiff

p.s Your app doesn't need to know exactly which window its working with it just needs to know what gadget or menu option has been triggered via the events. It would also be fairly easy to keep track of what windows are open by having a boolean variable that is set to true when a window is opened and then set to false when it is closed but I can't think of many scenarios where this would be necessary.
The important thing your app needs to know is what Gadget has been clicked rather than the window itself.

As far as your comment about knowing what gadget to test for and such... I already am aware of that! The way I got
my editor set up, There are no gadgets on the window to test
for!! I created a camera view on the window and I needed to
have some sort of way of determining which window was active
by the user clicking on that certain wondow.. There are
other world editor's out the where you must click on the
window to be able to edit objects in that window according
to it's XY or Z axis.. My editor is set up the same way!
And also to your second comment about a boolean varible and
such... I ended up creating a function to serve the need!
Works quite well too!

I see you repackaged the same question with a different title ! I wouldn't have answered your previous post due to its demanding and patronising "Oh so nobody knows !" comments. I think that you probably understand now that that type of post generally gets NO response at all and only serves to annoy people who would have probably helped if you'd had a bit of patience. This is not a help desk but a forum - you cannot demand an answer.

Well... What can I say to this comment except the following:

A.) Yes I did repackage the same question under a different
title to hope to get a reply!

B.) Well.. The comment you pointed out to me about what I
said as ... "Oh so nobody knows!" The post was up for a
good while and still I didn't see any comments what so
ever! Normally!! Somebody at least gives one reply
within a short amount of time, And I have kinda' gotten
used to that you might say! I didn't mean to come off
rude or demanding & patronising as you so put it!!
I was hoping that I might of gotten an answer to
hopfully help me in this situation I was in!

C.) Like I said above... I didn't mean to annoy anybody
here! And as far as me having patience and all! Try
dealing with the people I deal with on a regular basis
and you would be amazed of how much patience I really
do have! I got more patience than what other people
give me credit for!

This is not a help desk but a forum

Hmmmm.... That's real funny there smiffy ol' boy! I could
of sworning that forums are generally there to help people
since most companies that sell's a worthwhile product like
Blitz3D and such... often advertises them as a means of
helping promote their products!!! You'll find alot of
products out there on the market today that will often
state what I just said to that effect! If forums in this
matter speaking are for nothing more than just jaw-jacking
all day... Then what good are forums anyways in this matter
here? Why have I been told a long time ago by mark sibly
himself, That if I need any help and all... Go to the FORUMS!!!!! I rest my case!!

you cannot demand an answer.

I don't! You just took it that way! And what's wrong with
you anyways Smiff??? You are one of the good ones that normally always helps a guy out! Why are you lashing out at
me in this way? Id' never have expected this from you?!?

Odds On(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hi DoctorWho,

You can use:
Result = SendMessage( mywindow, "WM_VISIBLE" )

to see if a particular window is open.

The top-most window is also stored in a variable called app\topWin which should always store the currently active window.

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#6]
By confused i mean that it insists on adding items to the wrong listbox.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#7]

Why are you lashing out at
me in this way?

Well what I based my comments on what you posted a mere 18 hours or so after posing the initial question :

I take it that nobody here has a clue to this question huh?!?

I thought that at least one person might has an answer here?!!! What's the point in posting a question if nobody
doesn't reply to it?!?!? Even if nobody directly knows the
answer to this question... At least somebody make a comment
on here that they at least acknoledge this post?!?!?!??

That sounds pretty demanding to me !!

I Don't mean to 'lash out' just trying to assist you - you will generally always get an answer sometimes you just have to be patient and wait a few days.

How's youe Quoole style editor coming along ?

Wayne(Posted 2004) [#8]
I've just started to use Blitz UI.
The editor is easy to use, kinda wish it would give me resize handles on the controls so I wouldn't have to use the modify tab.

Still exploring the product.

Result = SendMessage( mywindow, "WM_VISIBLE" )

cool

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#9]
BlitzUI is an awesome package, top marks to Chris! I havent played with FUI but if it's predecessor (sp?) is anything to go by then it should be a fantastic tool for Blitz3D

Just my 2p :)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#10]
Well what I based my comments on what you posted a mere 18 hours or so after posing the initial question :

" I take it that nobody here has a clue to this question huh?!?

I thought that at least one person might has an answer here?!!! What's the point in posting a question if nobody
doesn't reply to it?!?!? Even if nobody directly knows the
answer to this question... At least somebody make a comment
on here that they at least acknoledge this post?!?!?!?? "

Ok..! Ok..! I do apologize for being a bit pushy that day and I stand corrected!! I apologize to everyone on this forum and all! I was just on a roll that day and was hoping
I could continue you might say.. But that didn't happen, So.. I should of been a little bit more patient as Smiff pointed out! Im' sorry guys!

How's youe Quoole style editor coming along ?

So far it's coming along pretty good... I just had to
re-arrange my editor a bit to work around some problems
that I was having with BlitzUi and all because BlitzUI
doesnt support 3D Viewports on it's windows and such and
thus was causing me some problems and all... But I should have them ironed out now! I'll be sending in some screenshots tomorrow for the Gallery! I'll keep you guys
posted!