"Unable to run in 3D"

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/"Unable to run in 3D"

tonydillon49(Posted 2004) [#1]
All,

I've just had a customer come back to tell me that my game won't work on their machine and comes up with an "Unable to run 3D" error.

They are running Win 98 with DirectX 8 and a Voodoo2 3D accelerator.

Any thoughts?

Tony

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
Checklist:

-Do you use cubemaps (without checking if the HW can do those)?
-Do you use m2x (without checking if the HW can do those)?
-Do you use bigger than 256*256 textures?
-Do you try to force bigger screen resolution than the HW is capable of without checking if the HW can do that?
-Do you try to force higher screen color depth than the HW is capable of without checking if the HW can do that?

...Even one "yes" from you and it's not Blitz3D that causes this. :)

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#3]
Voodoo2 will require full screen 16bit. Also get them to check their system with dxdiag to make sure the directx7 components are all working.

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#4]
isn't this why we have demos of our games so people can try before they buy! ;-) ...i guess that customer would have encountered that error in the demo too then and probably wouldn't have bought the game.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#5]
I'm betting on color depth. If you're forcing 32 bit color, that will definitely do it, and I've heard reports that voodoo's had a habit of picking the wrong color depth when you leave it at zero too. I always play safe and let the user pick either 16/32 or "optimal" ( 0 ) That gives a pretty good coverage.

Danny(Posted 2004) [#6]
I agree with Sybixsus, on my computer, the 0 option don't work with full screen modes (cause of crappy 3d card).