Feature Request: TriangleNX/Y/Z()

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Feature Request: TriangleNX/Y/Z()

N(Posted 2004) [#1]
Edit: Screw it, ignore this thread. Nobody seems to have any interest in adding these functions to Blitz3d just to save time.

Edit2: I just noticed I sound like I'm mad with that edit.. huh, weird how that works.

I'd like to request the addition of the functions TriangleNX(Surface,Index), TriangleNY(Surface,Index), and TriangleNZ(Surface,Index).

At the moment, I have to use (not too complicated) maths to get the 'real' normals of a triangle. It can be slightly time consuming. In any case, I don't believe it would be too hard to add these functions. There is already a function to get the vertices a triangle is composed of, so apparently (or not?) it's possible for either us to get the normals ourselves (which might not be appealing to beginners), or you (Mark) can add these functions. I don't need them (the functions) to be added, but they are certainly something I could make use of (extruding faces, for example, is one thing I could use it for).

Hopefully my request is clear enough on what I want. Thank you.

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#2]
Can't you use this one?
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=466

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
Sweenie: The point of this thread is to ask for a built-in version of the functions. I have my own functions to do this, but it was a hassle to write them. Getting them built-in would reduce the nuisance a great deal for other users who may be starting out.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
Noel, that's the whole point of parts of the code archives. To provide functions that do something, blitz does not :)

N(Posted 2004) [#5]
Ross: And the reason why the functions would be included is so that users wouldn't have to bother.

Floyd(Posted 2004) [#6]
I would say that TriangleNX() etc. are very unlikely candidates for being added to the language.
The two main considerations for a new feature are

1. Would it be useful to many programmers?
2. Is it difficult to implement on your own?

TriangleNX() fails both tests.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#7]
This is Blitz '3D' we're talking about, TriangleNX() NY & NZ commands should be in there.

1. Yes it would be useful to many programmers.

2. No, it's not that difficult to make your own functions, but they're slower in BB

I have a DLL I use for 3D math functions, most of the commands are quicker than BB code equivalents, noticably CrossProduct(), that's over 50% quicker. Fair enough, you may not use it that often to even notice a difference, but if you're processing meshes, every little speed boost helps!

TriangleNX() NY & NZ functions wouldn't take Mark long to implement I'm sure, and it does seem like they're 'missing in action' :)

Tom
N.C.S.C

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#8]
I'd like this added.
Simply more convinent to have it a part of blitz then having to track down old functions everytime this is needed.
And more than likely faster...