Collisions between same type

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Collisions between same type

Imphenzia(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello =)

I am doing some testing and I would like to check for collisions between around 400 objects of the same EntityType. I can imagine that it will cause some problems because when I do this the program is acting extremely strange (objects are misplaced and so forth).

Does anyone else do collision testing with the same EntityType, or are there any nifty ways around this?

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#2]
One problem I've encountered is that, with multiple colliding objects that are set up as collision source objects, you can get extra collisions being recorded on the collision list of some of the colliding objects.

Say you've got two objects colliding, then one object may have two collisions with the other object showing up on its collision list, instead of only one. This can just as easily occur with more than two collision objects involved, also.

Apparently this has something to do with precision issues with Blitz's collision system. It may have been fixed in the latest version of Blitz3D (1.86). I can't say as I haven't updated yet.

You can read more about it on the forum page listed below. There's also a solution I implemented successfully, in the bottom post:-

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=27508